Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a cummins and a duramax. ive ruled out ford b/c of all of the poor reviews ive read. i dont know too much about diesels besides that ive just recently fell in love with them. i am looking at 04-06 models. i know both have their small problems but im looking for the best fit for me. i dont tow at all besides a flatbed trailer with brush sometimes. i am looking more at speed. from what ive heard the duramaxes are quicker. i plan on making upgrades starting with intake, exhaust, chip and tranny upgrades. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
:welcome:

Well you're gonna get some biased answers here :lol3:. Anyway I'm fairly new to diesels myself. I went with a Cummins because of the proven track record. They put 5.9 engines in trucks and heavy equipment all across the world. That should be enough. It was for me. Performance aside, the ease of working on these engines is great compared to a V8. Mods are also very easy to do. If you do the work yourself you can save some cash just because it can be done with ease on a Cummins. Weigh your options, but you know the answer you'll get here. It's simple. CUMMINS!!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
With a 5.9 there really aren't any problems. Maybe some small issues with certain trucks but they are extremely reliable. However, if you want power with an Auto tranny you will need to upgrade at least the Torque Converter & Valve Body.

With the D-Max I don't like the Independent Front Suspension. Seems weak to me. Very expensive mods. Doesn't sound like a diesel should. I don't really know much about the D-Max.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
the duramax that I had ran like a champ with no problems

although this cummins I have now is kind of a pain but I would still pick the cummins over the duramax.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
My dad has an 05 with about 160,000 miles on it. I'm pretty sure he's on his 4th set of injectors.
I had 02 that I traded off when it started bellowing white smoke. Went to cummins then. That was before the 200,000 mile injector warranty. Don't know if that applies to the new or not.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
ive heard that the injectors go bad on some of the duramaxes. why is that?
That is really the LB7 or the 01-04 duramaxes, poor injector placement in the motor. Nice thing is that GM warranties them up 200,000 miles. The LLY (04.5-05 or so) have some that overheat but not too many. I haven't heard many bad things about the LBZ or LMM motors. The duramax is a good motor and honestly I almost got one prior to my dodge but IFS is really not my thing. That being said I talked a buddy of mine into one.

While the Common Rail dodges (03-07) have a very good reputation, they have some problems. The 48re auto trans is better then what people give it credit for, but the lift pumps on the 03-04.5 are horrible thankfully they are a pretty easy fix.

by the by :welcome:

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
:welcome: you can't beat the cummins for relieablity under power. I will hold better. The dmax is good, but is more expensive to get power out and there are more moving parts and more things to go wrong.

Cummins all the way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks a lot rufus. i know most cummins people use either suncoast, ats, or goerends for their tranny upgrades. what do duramax drivers use? i know they have the allison which is supposed good but im going to add upgrades that i dont think it can handle.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
you can't beat the cummins for relieablity under power. I will hold better. The dmax is good, but is more expensive to get power out and there are more moving parts and more things to go wrong.
On the contrary, the initial 250 (or so) HP are easier to get out of a Dura. Not to mention the tranny that only needs minor upgrades to handle the power.

If not towing, I'd say Dura, unless you are planning some serious power...then the best bet is the Cummins.

Other factors...(Obviously this is opinion but) how about how much nicer a Chevy is, compared to a Dodge :w:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im looking for an auto tranny. i spoke to dave goerends about a tranny for a cummins and it is going to be 5000 for a fully built transmission with billet input and output. what upgrades would the dmax need?

·
Registered
146 Posts
if you will be doing some towing, don't swing to the side, go straight. The Cummins will out pull ANY 6.0, 7.3, 6.4, and 6.6 diesel. Just thinking about it, how often do you see hotshot drivers using Cummins over D-Max? Cummins 9 out of 10. If you will be doing ONLY minor upgrades (trust me, once you start, you can't stop) go for the D-Max. I think you will not regret your purchase of a Cummins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i know the cummins is the better engine for towing. i really need the truck for towing though. i just love diesel power. i am looking more at speed than anything. from most of the people ive heard from, the dmax is quicker. im just scared b/c i know the cummins is the best diesel engine out there even if its not the fastest.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
if you will be doing some towing, don't swing to the side, go straight. The Cummins will out pull ANY 6.0, 7.3, 6.4, and 6.6 diesel. Just thinking about it, how often do you see hotshot drivers using Cummins over D-Max? Cummins 9 out of 10. If you will be doing ONLY minor upgrades (trust me, once you start, you can't stop) go for the D-Max. I think you will not regret your purchase of a Cummins.
Motor to motor Cummins wins hands down. The chevy chassis is great for soccer moms and people who don't use their trucks like they're meant to be used. I've had 3 chevy's with catastrophic failures before 60k miles not counting the nickel and dime issues leading up to it. IFS sucks, ground clearance sucks.

I haven't had any problems with my dodge yet but from what I hear if you sink 5k into a goerend tranny if it goes and bulletproof your front end you have a very solid truck.

I would buy a Ford before getting a Chevy.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
thanks a lot rufus. i know most cummins people use either suncoast, ats, or goerends for their tranny upgrades. what do duramax drivers use? i know they have the allison which is supposed good but im going to add upgrades that i dont think it can handle.
Suncoast, PPE, Inglewood Transmission, TTS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think that you will be happy either way, ive driven both and both have thier ups and downs, and your right the dmax is faster than the cummins especially if your only looking for mild modifications. I myself chose the cummins because of most of the reasons stated above...WAY less moving parts and therefor in theory less to go wrong. ease of working on it and installing parts, and the reliabilty of the cummins 5.9 its an amazing motor and if you look to whoes making the big numbers it usually is a cummins. my only complaint at all really is the 6k transmission you need to handle all the power itll make

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
it's a lot easier working on the straight 6 cummins vs. the v8 dmax too. that played a big part in my purchase decision. since i do all my own work, i like to make it as easy as possible. if you dont do the work yourself, it's also cheaper to pay someone to work on the cummins!

also, who wants to ride around with a car suspension under the front of a diesel truck? weaksauce imo...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts