Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was debating on switching from ford to dodge. My job uses 1 2008 and the rest are 2018 Cummins and all our trucks are perfect and havent caused any problems at all. So I decided I would give an 08 a shot and see about buying one. Well I found one for 13k and only has 145,xxx miles. It’s one owner, steely wheels unfortunately. Good hrydrabed body is rough from farm use but looks good. I was wondering what should I look for when going to look and test drive this? I dont want to buy it and then have to drop 10k potentially after buying it so I’d rather be careful as possible when looking over this truck. Thank you!!

·
Cummins Crazy
2,303 Posts
Try this again in a different forum index

Kimbo slice jr.

First off, check the tranny, then the mileage on the overhead, last look for rust bubbles. I'll sell you a 08 for 16,000. It is fully deleted, EFI, 750hp. RevMax with triple disc, Leather heated seats, your basic great looking truck. Think it over, on 34 economy selection, it puts out 500+ and 1121 torque, papers to prove it too. Full cap as well---

WAYNES WORLD

Attachments

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I’d be looking at the trans and if it’s a 4x4 the transfer case. If it’s been a farm truck I’d be worried about the routine maintenance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I appreciate your time guys, how to I look at the overhead? Never done that before.. I’d love that red truck but I sadly can’t afford 16k right as of now. But I really appreciate it and I’m in Kansas as well so we are probably far apart. Also my local diesel mechanic told me these engines have had problems? Or that he knows people with them having problems??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh nevermind I know what the overhead, so look for average mpg’s I take it? And when you say check the trans, what should I do? Look at the tranny fluid, smell for burn, feel for clutch slippage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the 6.7 is a pretty reliable engine I take it if you didn’t say anything bout looking it over/ looking for anything engine wise? Thanks -Kimble

·
Registered
43 Posts
No offense but you might want to take the truck to a reputable diesel mechanic and have him look it over. It might cost you an hour or two of his labor but he will know what to look for and could save you from any surprises after you buy the truck.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
last look for rust bubbles.
x2 if rust is a concern for you. Over the rear wheels is typically the first spot as it's a single sheet of metal folded over. Road grime sits there if it's not cleaned and works it's way through the sheetmetal.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Well, a 144k mile 2008 diesel sounds like either a pile of crap at that price, or potentially a steal at that price. If it's a steal, buy it and re-sell it to boost your financial position, based on your current position. If it's a pile, walk away. If it's in between, still walk away, because it will cost money you admittedly don't have, for some repair or other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts