Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the low pro cover and the fit was awesome but first indications are a pickup of 2-3mpg during my normal 25mile commute. On my 05 Chev I picked up 1-2mpg but it was a short box. Yes I know mythbusters test said it didn't help but I don't believe everything I see on TV. :)

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
mythbusters can be idiots at times to. Thats great 2-3 gain.

what's funny is that there are people that ride around with the tail gate down or missing thinking that you can get better MPG like that. The only way to get better MPG is a Cover of some type like you just did.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Well, I just put a LiteRider cover on mine which is stretched nice and tight. My mileage has not changed any.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have run a soft cover and the mpg stayed the same didn't go up or down. Glad it works for you!!!

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I do run around with my tailgate down and i see a 1 MPG increase that way. I have heard everyone say its not true, but the mileage doesnt lie.

·
Registered
35 Posts
riding around with you tailgate down will cause other issues!!! I have painted a lot of gates from excessive chipping!!!! Just a consideration.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just the way a person drives will make a bigger difference than all the urban mythes about tail gates and all the other stuff. Slow down to 55, use cruise control, don't load a lot of useless junk will gain you more than anything else. Do we do that? NO!

R

·
0 Posts
Have had mine on since the day I bought it. If I got a 2 or 3 mpg gain, I must of only been getting 10 or 11 before it.

·
Banned
885 Posts
The tail gate and bed cover work... Problem with myth busters is that the drag doesn't start to take effect until after 65mph.. Aero sensitive things really don't work till after 70mph, wings, spoiler, splitters and dams don't show there muscle till after 70, usually 80 mph and up.

To show this is true whenever you want to check drag or a aero mod tape pieces of 1.5" or 1.25" string in that area about 3" apart in every direction...take a drive and watch it, make your aero change and do it again...

For a bed, take a wiffle ball, or a closed wiffle ball or plastic cup...place it in the bed and watch it at different speeds... you'll notice the air comes over the cab nose dives into the rear gate and then comes forward to the cab and back again... Watch as the speed increases... Then watch mythbusters again... notice they never got to the speeds people travel in the real world

1 - 10 of 10 Posts