Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for those of you who run their trucks with a cap, any pics?!!

Any any input on your cap? (Likes, dislikes, etc...)

I want to save up to get one, especially to run in the winter, or particular trips. But since they are expensive, I need to do my homework first. I'd appreciate any insight!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got the ARE Z. I would go without the rear auto locking feature, I would have a light in front and rear, I would also have the fold down window and slider. If I had to purchase a new cap I would go with one that is taller.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a softtopper.com cap. It's a soft cap. You can fold it up like a bimini boat top and stow it up in the front of the bed or just take it right off. Weights 30lbs I think. It has no side windows and obviously no locking. But its weather proof and easy to go on and off. I think it was about $550. I had it on my Tundra and haven't put it on the Ram yet, so I don't have any pictures.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got one by Astro. Had problems when I first got it with the front window leaking, eventually found out that when they cut the hole for the window they did a real sloppy job. To fix it I siliconed around the whole thing and put it back end.

This pic shows the opening side windows. Wouldn't have a cap without them!!

This cap came off a 2003 Quad cab. The Dodge salesman tried to tell me it won't work on a mega cab. HA!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Specs in my sig

·
Registered
650 Posts

what every you do, just dont get one of those ugly leer shells that are shorter twords the tailgate than they are at the cab..... IMO they are stupid ugly!! here is a pic and trust me they look alot worse in person...
http://www.leer.com/dodgegallery/ramquadcabxq.jpg
what kills it for me is the fact that the glass goes all the way to the cab, and the taper is just plain stupid looking...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind is yours pictured there?

(I don't care for the ones that have the side glass all the way to the cab either.)

·
Registered
650 Posts
What kind is yours pictured there?

(I don't care for the ones that have the side glass all the way to the cab either.)
im pretty sure mine is a leer legend..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mine is a Leer Legend with Tule Removable Rack. Fits well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Anyone have any pics of a ram witht the Leer 180? It is their mid rize cap. I like the extra room without the look of the grandpa style high rize.

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
I have owned 2 Leer caps before, and both of them were expensive and both leaked.

My friend bought a loaded out $2,000 Leer cap for his Dmax and had severe leaking issues and cracking issues......none of Leer are willing to look at, repair, or fix.

My local Leer dealer recently stopped selling Leer caps, because of customer complaints and poor product. They now only carry ARE and Swiss

I had an ARE on my old 2001 2500, and loved it. It was very heavy, but build very, very well.

I have a Swiss cap on my truck now, which I found used for only $500. It looks good, does it job, does not leak, and was cheap!

·
Cummins Crazy
2,315 Posts
Trucks with caps

4rcFed,

I loved a ARE so much that when I got the new truck , I bought them same one again.
Lifetime on the frame-------
Interior with light.

FIRE-Z-426,

Loved your wheels. What kind & how much?

WAYNES WORLD

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
the wheels were actually on the truck (stock hieght w/ 33's) when I bought it, so I cant say how much.. I added the lift and tires.. But I have reaserched and found out that they are "akuza orca 8's" now discontinued, but probbably still avaliable somewhere??

oh and I have had leer shells on 2 of my trucks now without any problems, infact I was/and am very happy with both of them as I got them both used for a real good price...

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
My Swiss cap:

Clamp-less Mounting Method:

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Leer 100XQ-- Too short for the bed by 1/2-3/4" and leaks a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts