Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i only drive my truck on the weekends. i went out to start my truck yesterday and it started fine. it ran for a minute or two and it started missing before i could give it any fuel it died. it wouldnt start back it has been well below freezing here. could it have gelled up? if so what should i do? its been about 40 or 50 today and it still wont start. anyone had the same problem? first time the truck has ever givin me problems. any help would be appreciated. its a 1998 12 valve manual tranny.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sounds like gelling could be your problem, or just an air leak in the system. From what I have read, fuel leaks tend to crop up more when cold for one reason or another.

If its a leak, it isn't hard to fix/diagnose. Go crack (loosen about 1 turn, or till loose) the banjo bolt on the fender side of the injector pump, and start pumping the primer on the lift pump. It will probably hiss/bubble/dribble fuel until you get the air out, then it will just dribble fuel.

Another thing could be the fuel solenoid. It could be that it went bad sometime between the incident and now. Look at it, then bump the starter (and leave the key on) and see if it pulls up the fuel shutoff arm.

When you shut it off normally, does it slowly die (acting like it is missing like you described) or does it seem to shut off fuel instantly? It may be a sticky mechanism that is not dropping quickly, and just letting it slowly go down. If it does that, it could have been a bad wire or something (I think this is unlikely, though)

Another thing is that it might be water in your system. How often do you flush the fuel filter?

·
Registered
906 Posts
aint no way in all of satans H ell that fuel will gel in that kind of temperature; there is a shut off solinoid relay, or a leak in the line or some other mechanical problem that is preventing your fuel from getting where it needs to be to get this rig to start its a simple problem but you must follow the fuel and find the leak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts