Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Truck wont start

1479 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  MX26
Truck has had some hard start problems since I bought it. The lift pump went out and I replaced it. It started good for a while but sometimes still having hard start issues and I have to manually pump the lift pump and crank her a lot to get her started. Sometimes she starts then dies right away then its really hard to start. after sitting 3 weeks it was really hard to start yesterday and ran good untill about 2000 rpms, over that she was shaky and rough. This morning it will not start only cough a few times. The batteries are fully charged and I have the block heater plugged in but its over 40 degrees. If I loosen the bleed valve over the fuel filter and pump it it bubbles for a little while then pure fuel runs out. if i crack the first 3 injection pump lines and crank it then i get a little squirt here and there.......Im thinking the fuel filter is stopped up. Does this sound right?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
yes that does sound like it could be the problem but i had the same problem for while and i went to advance auto and got my battaries checked and they where fine but my alternator needd replaced

· Premium Member
630 Posts
I'd change the fuel filter first. if that don't fix it then you have a fuel drain back problem. Have you ever changed the rubber fuel lines? Especially the return line off the pump. They like to come apart internally and cause this problem.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean the rubber line going from the pump to the metal fuel lines? I havnt messed with since I bought the truck but they look newer to me. Im hoping the fuel filter it does look old and even when the truck was running well it would roungh rough if revving over 2000 rpm......im crossing my fingers on the fuel filter. Any other ideas?

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Also, check the following:

- Remove and clean out the fuel-strainer, just to the left of the LP.
- Check fuel pressure, you may have a bad fuel-overflow valve.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I replaced the fuel filter....also the thing that the fuel filter screws onto(the actually threaded part) was super loose and not sealed at the top. I put everything together and now it starts as soon as i touch the key. Now i get white smoke and rough around 2300 rpms..... maybe overflow valve?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
or is that just from where the pump is defueling ?untill there it runs good, better than ever

· Banned
1,559 Posts
i'd say bump your timing

· Registered
39 Posts
try this. take a lenght of 1/2 " fuel line and attach to the inlet side of the lift pump. drop the other end in a can of fuel. prime the lift pump and start. if your symptoms go away, the problem is on the suction side between the pump and tank. replace all the rubber lines and quick connects. there is also a piece of braided line at the firewall that could be leaking. youll have to drop the tank to replace the lines there. its not that bad to drop the tank I dropped and reinstalled mine by myself with a half tank of fuel in it. floor jack and a piece of plywood or other board on top of the jack . I think its pretty common as these trucks get older. get some diesel rated fuel line. 3/8" inlet I'm not sure what the return size was. gasoline line will work for a while but I think it starts to break down from exposure to the diesel. good luck.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i ran it up to 2500 rpms on the street and it doesnt put out any smoke and runs smooth so its only when free revving it in drive

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the truck out and ran the rpms up on the street to see if it does the same thing. in od it would only rev a little over 2500 and around 90 something rpms but there was no smoke. it only does in in park free revving it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.