Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998.5 Ram 2500 4wd Extended Cab Short Bed Auto Trans
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a really weird problem going on here and not sure what to do about it. The truck wont start if both doors are closed. What I mean by wont start is it wont crank whatsoever. When it does this, power is going somewhere because my radio and gauges dim, just not to the starter. However, if I open either driver or passenger side door till the door switch is not depressed anymore, the truck will start just fine. What makes the problem even more weird is that it is almost random. It will do this for a few days and then the next day be just fine. Door switches work just fine and turn on my interior lights when I open the door as they should. Not the end of the world, but it is really annoying that I have to open my door every time I want to start the truck. The truck is a 98.5 24 Valve auto trans. Just today it threw a P0336 code(Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance), but I cleared it and it seems to be fine, not sure if that could be related. Any ideas?

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Welcome. That is a new one. Never before.
Please post signature block with rest of truck info. Any Mods at all? Any security systems, Chrysler remote or other? Work on anything lately? Any chip or programmer?

336 for crank sensor , a bad crank sensor will keep it from staying running but not keep it from craning over with starter and running for 5 seconds.
Start by cleaning all battery terminals to perfect metal connection.
Does the wait to start light come on IMMEDIATELY with the key to ON, for at least a flash?
If you start it with the door open, will it stay running when you close it?
Check ground wires under PDC and anywhere else you find one.
That high draw could be grid heaters, not starter circuit.
When it will not start turn the key to on in park, wheels blocked and crawl under it and short the small starter trigger wire to the main battery post to jump the solenoid and see if it will crank and start, remember key ON.

Pull the dome light fuse(s) and see if it will still start with the door open?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The truck has a built ATS Auto Trans and 60 hp Edge Box. It does have an aftermarket antitheft system, although I did not install it. It does have a Chrysler remote. I recently redid battery cables and checked all the grounds. Once the truck starts it runs fine without any issues. The Wait To Start light does not come on for a few seconds and this is another issue I have. The truck will crank but not start if I do not wait for the light to come up and go out. No matter the temperature, I have to wait for the light to go out before the truck will fire. So between waiting for the wait to start light to go out and holding the door open to start the truck, it is getting really annoying. I do know that the Wait to Start light issue has not been around for forever because this used to be my fathers truck and he didn't have this issue. Interesting how I have had no issues with the crank sensor after I cleared the code. I will try some of your suggestions and see how it goes.

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Sound like you said the WTS light takes some time before it even comes on, it does not do it IMMEDIATELY? That had the fact that it will not start at all until it goes off says the ECM is about shot, needs replacement. Is it either original or a recent replacement? Bad ECM is s sure bet.
Do you know about High AC voltage coming from the alternator causing ECM damage and other electrical issues?

The door problem may be related to the ECM, but never heard of it before.
It sounds like it may be related to an aftermarket "starter interrupt" security system. Look for some kind of and aftermarket little chip box zip tied to or near the steering column. Is there a plug in it to plug in a bypass or a plug to remove it? Is there a small bypass plug in the glove box. Is there a name brand sticker on the drivers window for the security?
There is also the possibility the central timer has issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I looked into the "starter interrupt" with the aftermarket security system and came across this video.
. Although the video was obviously made for a car, the concept is the same. Basically what your doing is bypassing the security system by connected the grounds on the relay for the alarm system. Tried it out and so far seems to be working. In the next day or so I am going to work on a more permanent solution for connecting the wires. I would remove the security system altogether if it weren't for the mess that is already down there. If the issue comes back I will be sure to post for anyone that may be having the same problem.

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Did you look for a jumper wire/plug in the glove box? If not if the box plugs in one can be made. What brand is it, sticker on window? or box?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is nothing in the glove box. The box says that it is an automate.

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Not one I am familiar with. Google it and look for an installer and any manufacturer information or forum information on it. You may be able to unplug it and with some small spade jumper wires reconnect the ingition/starter wire that passes through it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Cool.
I forgot to ask, does your remote work correctly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes my remote works correctly. I just ended up pulling the whole antitheft system out. Took me a few hours to get it out and fix the sh** job that installed it. Now it is basically a factory system again. So far everything seems to be working great.

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Good. Welcome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts