Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok well I just bought a 2002 Dodge 5.9L, and like buying a used truck I found soo many problems, first they let the front drive shaft joints get so back it took out the transfer case, I replaced that and found the brakes were shot in the back it needed new caliber, rotors, axle seals. ok after I finished that there was a problem with the brake lights staying on, (they had a 40amp fuse instead of a 20amp, burnt wires I replaced them)

And now, I drove it for a couple days maybe put 600km on it, I noticed it I was full throttle it wouldn't shift properly until I left off, then it started jumping up and down between 1st and 2nd while driving and seem like a dead pedal but if I gave it full throtle it would start working properly, and on Saturday I would not shift out to second even if I gave it full throttle the tach would not go over 2,000 rpm. So drove 30km all the way home in 1st gear and yesterday I was hoping that it would get me to town (I live 20 min from town) and it would not go past 30km it's like it's in limp mode, I'm hoping it's a sensor not the Tranny, has anyone had this happen to them?? Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
sounds like you have a bad lift pump and or a bad injector pump and sounds like the tranny is having problems. Was or is there a chip in the truck, any guages?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No there isn't a chip on the truck, and I'm not sure if there was.
I thought the pump would cause a code.. There is no engine light on, I'm going to scan it tonight and see if there is a light code that did not set the engine light on. Thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
did you try the key trick yet to check for codes. Turn the key on and off three times and look at your digital odometer, it should show a code if there is one. Good luck.

No there isn't a chip on the truck, and I'm not sure if there was.
I thought the pump would cause a code.. There is no engine light on, I'm going to scan it tonight and see if there is a light code that did not set the engine light on. Thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I didn't know that I could do that.. I'll try that tonight, I hope it's not the tranny,.....lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so I tried that,, I got 2 codes, one p1693, Which under my understanding is a dtc in the pcm or ecm ( a stored code), and a p0215 Which when I looked that up I got a engine shut off solenoid malfunction, and Fuel injection pump control circuit,

Has any one had a pump go and cause this??

·
Registered
251 Posts
We use to have 02' at for work. This same thing happened to me one day 1100 miles from home. I took it in and had the tranny serviced and it seemed to work...for about 3 days.
In the long run, the dealer ended up putting some computor overide thing in that told the tranny when to shift. I don't remember if it was a bad governer or what. Luckily, it was warranteed as our trucks where only two years old at that time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similiar problem with my 06. It started off a bit sluggish and then wouldn't go over 2000rpm's...I had no service engine light. I replaced the fuel filter, problem solved. I hope this is your problem as a filter is a lot cheaper than a tranny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts