Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to put a 4 post hoist in my shop and am debating between a 12k-14k and 9k capacity.

For several reasons, I want the 9k hoist:
1) Maneuverability - most come with casters to move the lift around, 12k-14k hoists do not
2) Drive Thru Height - ~80" drive thru clearance - I can store my car up top and still fit the wife's Tahoe or Ranger underneath, 12k-14k hoists are mostly limited to ~70"
3) Cost - 9k hoist average ~$2k cheaper

Regardless of the hoist max capacity, I'll purchase rolling bridge jacks for suspension work, so that's not a factor.

Now for my main problem:
1) A 9k hoist theoretically is rated for 4,500 lbs in the front and 4,500 lbs in the rear.
2) I've contacted some manufacturers and they say "It'll lift your truck", then I bring up the front axle weight, and they say different (probably for legal reasons).

My truck will be the heaviest thing on the hoist, and it'll be for occasional work and never be stored on the lift. From what I found online, my front axle weighs about 5,100 lbs. 2016 2500 CCSB Limited loaded w/ rambox and factory air. I will run it on a CAT scale before I buy, but I'm almost 100% positive the front axle weighs more than 4500 lbs.

Does anyone out there have a 9k 4 post hoist and run their truck on it frequently? Also, any lift I get will be ALI certified (Bendpak, Challenger, Forward Lift, Etc.).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
9k to light weight, my truck is 8900 pounds empty.
You can never to heavy a lift, be safe not sorry

·
White Lightning
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
15,761 Posts
A small analogy....

Lots have complained about not having enough truck. Few have complained about having too much truck.

Get the bigger lift. It’s simply the better tool for the job......and your health and/or life may depend on it as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Y'all are right, safe not sorry. Thank you, just needed the extra push!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
if you'll be under that lift working on your truck, then it won't matter any longer when it fails and you are smooshed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.