Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
2018 2500 longbed with a snugtop. I love the way way it turned out. Although it wasn’t cheap it was worth every penny in my opinion
View attachment 906728
I agree with the snug tops, best shells I’ve ever owned. Well built, long lasting. You get what you pay for!

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
I will add this, if your going with a LEER, make sure you get the updated version that conforms to tailgate better, the one on my 2016 bought new in 2016, SUCKS, the plastic cap they have for tailgate isn;'t even formed to fit correctly, had a BIG gap in center as in NOT touching the tailgate, and they used some cheap stick on tape to hold it in place, which lasted about a yr before failing
it was back to installer(per warranty coverage?) several times, to make SO called adjustments, which always failed shortly afterwards, to the point I live 80 miles away from the LEER factory, I went there to meet up with a customer service person, who after seeing it admitted it was a piss poor designs and why they have a NEW version, yet refused to help me in any way, minus selling me a new cap?(not even a discount to buy it)
I have owned many LEER caps over the yrs and always were great caps, but this current one, SUCKS, I also noticed a LOT of fiberglass shavings, like pine needles all over the inside of the cap, and cannot tell you how many I ended up breaking off in my finger tips, when touching the inside of the cap at random spots?
so, very disappointed in things,
design of tailgate, and lack of better finishing work on inside( I plan to paint inside this yr with some RV rubber roof coating to cover the fiberglass shreds! which I hope will solves issues
been on to do list a few yrs LOL))
but looks and outside finish has been good! color was spot on!

just poor design on this new tailgate Rams have , being curved like, seems to be a issue for LEER!
I have had two Leer's. Excellent. Second one they warrantied at 6 years for a roof failure, gave me a new one. They didn't make one for my 17 so I purchased a ARE. Another excellent cap.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
As much as I love the cab hi look,it's a bear crawling in and out of them with limited headroom.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have had two Leer's. Excellent. Second one they warrantied at 6 years for a roof failure, gave me a new one. They didn't make one for my 17 so I purchased a ARE. Another excellent cap. View attachment 906825

my only real issue's are the poor fit on tailgate, and all the fiberglass shreds that have sharp pointy edges sticking out that break off in your finger tips if you rub the inside of the cap
I Tried to get help from Leer, even again went to there factory to talk to a person to SHOW them the issue's, thinking be better that way than just over the phone or in pic's
and got ZERO help
I owned several Leer caps in the past and they were much better fitting and finished on inside!
here are a few pic's of the crappy design of what they used in 2016 when I bought it new and it wasn't cheap either
the plastic cover they STICK on with double sided tape, doesn't even fit the tailgate, its NOT wide enough nor even molded correctly to even match the tailgate, and yes 100% it is the correct one, had that verified by Leer!
they use a piece of HOSE to TRY and fill gaps on the ends when they install it?? which does NOTHING, but fall off after you open tailgate window a few times and close it?

if you push all the way to one side, so it actually fits over the edge of tailgate,it leaves a huge gap, but even still the mold of the cover isn;'t correct to tailgate! so never sits right even on that one side, can se how far off it is on the ends in pci's below!

they sort of just STICK it in the middle to split the different, and then have the lips sit ON TOP of the top of the tailgate, which then BOWS the whole thing,
UNLESS you don't add any tape past the first few inches of each end(which is what they do at install), but that then leaves the rest of the cover free floating NOTHING holding it on,
if you press on it it will drop down about a 1/2 inch or more,and it ends up pulling off real easy
load a 2x4x8 in truck bed and have it rest on center at ANY time an dit Pop's off, as they had it,
not designed to have ANYTHING resting on it according to them when I asked,
so makes your tailgate rather useless with it??

if you add double sided tape to whole width of it, it then gets sucked down in middle, due to ends again NOT sitting flush, which then leaves a big bow in things
and then rear window doesn;t close that well/seal to it<

its just a real cheesy poor design, that honestly shouldn;t be this way, had they actually just made a cover that was molded correctly to FIT the tailgate, who ever engineered this design should have been fired IMO
and LEER should be embarrassed for putting it out there!
I ended up cutting the ends off sort of to get it to fit better and then added some layers of very thick 3M tape to hold it down, but it just doesn;t fit, it leaves big open gaps on the ends and the rear window just doesn;t close well against it, , poor design period! and very sad, Leer was so UN willing to even offer anything, other than selling me a new design cap they have NOW?
as even they know they screwed up, yet won't help previous customers out!

and again, all the fiberglass shreds in THIS cap as to others, is IMO a safety issue, I cannot believe they won't want to correct before getting sued?
ain;t much fun having fiberglass break off under a finger nail, I know this all too well due to this cap on countless occasions LOL
when I showed them this at factory, they just said, well?? HUMM< and again NO help!

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
here is cap on truck, it again, is a NICE looking cap, color spot on, just has issue's in design to tailgate, and then fiberglass shreds all over inside!
not like my previous Leer which fit very nicely and zero issues with fiberglass shreds on inside!. quality went down hill on this 216 cap, as to the one before it IMO
As I said, color and looks great, but?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I remain on my butt when in there .
getting a cap with a slight rise, helps make life easier when inside them,
the higher the rise the better as it makes the opening at the window a LOT larger , my 16 cap above is a a mid rise, they have a higher yet one, and if I get another cap, I will go to the HIGH one next time, only flaw is, if you have a low garage, and well ain;t that tall, as its a reach to get window now for me and I am 5'10", I imagine a HIGH would be even worse, I have ropes hanging now on mine to make easier LOL
but to load unload things, the ride option is very nice, and fits a LOT more things in bed, than a standard cap will too!

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
my only real issue's are the poor fit on tailgate, and all the fiberglass shreds that have sharp pointy edges sticking out that break off in your finger tips if you rub the inside of the cap
I Tried to get help from Leer, even again went to there factory to talk to a person to SHOW them the issue's, thinking be better that way than just over the phone or in pic's
and got ZERO help
I owned several Leer caps in the past and they were much better fitting and finished on inside!
here are a few pic's of the crappy design of what they used in 2016 when I bought it new and it wasn't cheap either
the plastic cover they STICK on with double sided tape, doesn't even fit the tailgate, its NOT wide enough nor even molded correctly to even match the tailgate, and yes 100% it is the correct one, had that verified by Leer!
they use a piece of HOSE to TRY and fill gaps on the ends when they install it?? which does NOTHING, but fall off after you open tailgate window a few times and close it?

if you push all the way to one side, so it actually fits over the edge of tailgate,it leaves a huge gap, but even still the mold of the cover isn;'t correct to tailgate! so never sits right even on that one side, can se how far off it is on the ends in pci's below!

they sort of just STICK it in the middle to split the different, and then have the lips sit ON TOP of the top of the tailgate, which then BOWS the whole thing,
UNLESS you don't add any tape past the first few inches of each end(which is what they do at install), but that then leaves the rest of the cover free floating NOTHING holding it on,
if you press on it it will drop down about a 1/2 inch or more,and it ends up pulling off real easy
load a 2x4x8 in truck bed and have it rest on center at ANY time an dit Pop's off, as they had it,
not designed to have ANYTHING resting on it according to them when I asked,
so makes your tailgate rather useless with it??

if you add double sided tape to whole width of it, it then gets sucked down in middle, due to ends again NOT sitting flush, which then leaves a big bow in things
and then rear window doesn;t close that well/seal to it<

its just a real cheesy poor design, that honestly shouldn;t be this way, had they actually just made a cover that was molded correctly to FIT the tailgate, who ever engineered this design should have been fired IMO
and LEER should be embarrassed for putting it out there!
I ended up cutting the ends off sort of to get it to fit better and then added some layers of very thick 3M tape to hold it down, but it just doesn;t fit, it leaves big open gaps on the ends and the rear window just doesn;t close well against it, , poor design period! and very sad, Leer was so UN willing to even offer anything, other than selling me a new design cap they have NOW?
as even they know they screwed up, yet won't help previous customers out!

and again, all the fiberglass shreds in THIS cap as to others, is IMO a safety issue, I cannot believe they won't want to correct before getting sued?
ain;t much fun having fiberglass break off under a finger nail, I know this all too well due to this cap on countless occasions LOL
when I showed them this at factory, they just said, well?? HUMM< and again NO help!

View attachment 906860 View attachment 906865 View attachment 906862 View attachment 906863 View attachment 906864
I never have the fiberglass issue, I paid extra for the head liner.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
As much as I love the cab hi look,it's a bear crawling in and out of them with limited headroom.
I agree, but fixed that issue by adding a bed slide. Sure it eats up a little storage, but every time I open it up to get something, my knee's and back are happy.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I never have the fiberglass issue, I paid extra for the head liner.
its funny the ceiling in it is fine, all the shreds of fiberglass that are hanging out all over are one the sides, where the cap meets the truck bed rails yp and down both sides and at the rear ruck window end
so when your in bed and on hands and knee
and want to grab onto the side of bed like to reach for something, that's when I get stabbed often!
there just isn't any good reason for it to be this way, just bad quality of finishing work and well, the fitment of that plastic cap for tailgate is a JOKE, I mean not even close to matching the design of the tailgate
NO clue how anyone at LEER thought that was a acceptable when they designed it
I mean how much harder would it have been to have it molded to the top of the tailgate so it fit flush?., or just even as wide as the tailgate, a total failure on there part!!
and then zero help when asking about it, other than saying we designed a new cap, so I should buy one!
I already paid good money for this one, if they know its a flaw design, give me some sort of trade in, discount or , incentive to buy ??
stand behind your product LEER, I am very disappointed in LEER on this!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts