Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm fixing to go on an extended road trip, so it's time to get a topper. Can any of you recommend a good website to order from or brand that is good? Preferably on the low end of cost. I've noticed that longbed toppers are harder to find. Thanks.

My truck is 2015 Tradesman Longbed.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
it really depends on what you want. you can get insulated, carpeted, barr fiberglass interior, lights no lights, sliding windows, gull wing windows, framed back window, non framed. about the only thing i would consider necessity would be windows on the side that open, and the rear window that doesn't need a frame

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've traveled with this in all weather types across the country. it's the most versatile cover I have ever owned.
View attachment 906381
Do you sleep in the bed of the truck when you travel? Doesn't it get dark in there? I actually don't mind the way it looks. I can pick one of those up for my long bed for just over $800. I don't want to spend $3000, so the soft top might be my only option at this point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really want that snugtop outback topper. That thing is awesome. But they don't make it for long beds. Not that I could afford it anyway.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I really want that snugtop outback topper. That thing is awesome. But they don't make it for long beds. Not that I could afford it anyway.
If you're going to sleep in the back get one that's a notch higher than cab hi. I know it looks old man but it works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here you go, you can get this one from Home Depot, of course some assembly is required... :ROFLMAO:

It actually doesn't look that bad. Although I'd want to round out the corners somehow, maybe some rounded corner molding or something. But, eh, I ain't building a topper.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It's prolly out of your price range, but I do love our 8' topper with gull-wing side windows.
Have built bins over the wheel wells all down each side and can just reach in and grab stuff.
Getting at the front of an 8' bed can be a pain otherwise.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Something you may want to consider. From a past post -

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I have a Leer and love it. Ordered it new, shortly after I got screwed ordering an ARE. Long story short, when I ordered the ARE, I checked the box for trimless, confirmed before delivery it was trimless… go figure it showed up with trim and was already installed before I ever saw it. Back and forth with the dealer and ARE with absolutely no help, they finally took it back AND charged me a restocking fee. [email protected] ARE and Holly Acres Marina in Woodbridge, VA.

Leer came as I ordered and I'm super happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have a Leer and love it. Ordered it new, shortly after I got screwed ordering an ARE. Long story short, when I ordered the ARE, I checked the box for trimless, confirmed before delivery it was trimless… go figure it showed up with trim and was already installed before I ever saw it. Back and forth with the dealer and ARE with absolutely no help, they finally took it back AND charged me a restocking fee. [email protected] ARE and Holly Acres Marina in Woodbridge, VA.

Leer came as I ordered and I'm super happy with it.
Looks great

·
Registered
150 Posts
Johnny. If you're not in a rush, canopies or toppers do come up for sale second hand.
Around here they tend to be like box liners. Expensive first go around and then can't
hardly get rid of it when you're plans change down the road. I found mine for $400cdn
colour matched and everything. Sliding side windows, front slider and cab height. :)
Maybe you can buy one used, use it for your trip and then re-sell it when you're done?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I will add this, if your going with a LEER, make sure you get the updated version that conforms to tailgate better, the one on my 2016 bought new in 2016, SUCKS, the plastic cap they have for tailgate isn;'t even formed to fit correctly, had a BIG gap in center as in NOT touching the tailgate, and they used some cheap stick on tape to hold it in place, which lasted about a yr before failing
it was back to installer(per warranty coverage?) several times, to make SO called adjustments, which always failed shortly afterwards, to the point I live 80 miles away from the LEER factory, I went there to meet up with a customer service person, who after seeing it admitted it was a piss poor designs and why they have a NEW version, yet refused to help me in any way, minus selling me a new cap?(not even a discount to buy it)
I have owned many LEER caps over the yrs and always were great caps, but this current one, SUCKS, I also noticed a LOT of fiberglass shavings, like pine needles all over the inside of the cap, and cannot tell you how many I ended up breaking off in my finger tips, when touching the inside of the cap at random spots?
so, very disappointed in things,
design of tailgate, and lack of better finishing work on inside( I plan to paint inside this yr with some RV rubber roof coating to cover the fiberglass shreds! which I hope will solves issues
been on to do list a few yrs LOL))
but looks and outside finish has been good! color was spot on!

just poor design on this new tailgate Rams have , being curved like, seems to be a issue for LEER!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I have had Snug Tops on my last 3 Rams. They last longet than the truck does and the color is matched. They are expensive new but worth it.

Reactions: hooked55
1 - 20 of 30 Posts