Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 dodge with the 5.9 in it. Its a six speed and i have a superchips, exhaust and intake. My only problem is when i cruise at anything over 80mph it will surge like i am letting on and off of the throttle. Any ideas? Another issue i have is under full throttle my boost used to hit 45psi and hold it. Just recently it started bouncing between 35 and 40psi and wont go any higher but also wont hold a steady boost at high psi.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Cycle the key three times from off to stand by...do you have any codes?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i have yet to have a single code. I guess that could be good or bad

·
Registered
326 Posts
justindavid2106

I had a similar problem with my 01 5.9. You would be driving along at highway speeds and it would surge 250-500rpm. Check the batteries. I cleaned the battery posts and terminals with a terminal brush. It cleared it up for a while. Once I replaced the batteries I have never had the problem again. I checked everything. Had my scanner on it driving around and never threw codes. Checked fuel system, electrical system, sensors, ect but never found anything. It drove me NUTS!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would check all the rubber connections from the motor to the intercooler to the turbo. Could be a boost leak.

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked all rubber boost connectors and all that stuff. No boost leaks. As far as boost fooler, i only have the super chips, but it may have one programmed into it as my boost reaches MUCH higher than it used to. And i also thought it was fuel filter, changed last week still same symptoms. Could it possibly be injector pump or lift pump?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It could be a lift pump going south.... Only way to check is to get a fuel pressure gauge...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I downloaded an extra program for my superchips that can read engine parameters while plugged in, only problem is that it reads out in metric. Do any of you know the spec or even a conversion from KPA to PSI or fuel pressure?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
PSI-KPA Pressure Converter

The superchips sounds like it will read rail pressure - pressure from the injection pump to the injectors. This can be important if you run the superchips on a really high setting and are draining the rail, but that shouldn't happen at cruising speed.

The lift pump pressure - pressure from the lift pump in the fuel tank to the injection pump - isn't measure by the ECM, so the only way to check that is with an aftermarket gauge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ok gotcha. Any recomendations on a good gauge?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
ISSPRO.....Dipricol....or a quadzilla rail pressure gauge with the lift pump pressure option.... All are good. You could even get the quadzilla commander with the lift pump pressure option and have all the gauges you will need.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice guys. I think im gonna take the programmer off until i can go get a fuel pressure gauge, then i guess after that its onto a new lift pump if thats the issue!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What about using a lower setting? What setting were you on?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i used both tow and performance. Each did it but i could tell a slight difference in low. Got a little better but still did it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
definitely remove the superchips and see what happens....

are there any updates for your tuner on the Superchips site????

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not any recent. I check it all the time and have also placed many complaints to them about the issue and have had no response.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are any of you aware of the superchips programmer zeroing out the computer each time you program the truck or return to stock. I was told each time you make a change to the tune or return to stock is zeroes out the start counter. I guess the computer keeps track of how many times you start the truck which i was unaware of. So a removeable tuner is basicaly pointless because it zeroes out that counter.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I am not sure on the Superchips, but the Smarty's do not reset the "key counter" during programming or unprogramming. With the latest updates, the U7131 for the 06/07 5.9's also does not reset the key counts - from what diablo says anyway.

·
Registered
740 Posts
justin how about we both just strip your motor down to the crank. im sure we will figure something out.... hows this weekend sound?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts