Cummins Diesel Forum banner

truck started, then died, then no start. not out of fuel...

988 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Brian01 
#1 ·
Just posting this in case anyone else has the same issue....Lift pump was replaced 1 or 2 years ago but turned out that was the problem.

Cold morning (7 degrees) truck was not plugged in (it never is), Turned key, waited for grid heater, started truck. It ran rough (usually does when its that cold but clears up after a few minutes), but then it died. Started truck again, same deal. Then I couldnt get it started again. It acted like it wanted to start but wouldnt. From there it went to just cranking with no sign of wanting to run.

Thought maybe I was out of fuel (fuel gauge doesnt work) but it turns out there was like 8 gallons in the tank.

Checked out electrical connections to injector pump. Good. Checked to see if fuel shutoff solenoid was working (pulled wire off solenoid, turned key to on, touched wire to the terminal I removed it from and heard the solenoid "click") Good.

Thought maybe I had air in the system somehow (still thinking I may have run it out of fuel) Tried bleeding injector lines. Got fuel to come out of all of them, but just a trickle. Was expecting high pressure....So I replaced the lift pump (transfer pump) and all is well. Only thing is, I just replaced that pump within the last 2 years....but it was an Autozone special. Went to Carquest this time. Probably the same piece of but it works.

Hope this helps someone out. This forum has saved my numerous times.

Peace out

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.