Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 2001 dodge 2500.i have had no problems with it until a few months ago.when i turn my edge chip up to the 4th or 5th settings is when it happens.the truck runs great from 1st gear to 3rd but when i get into 4th and 5th at about 2500 rpms it starts to sputter.im worried that my injection pump might be failing.i also changed the fuel filter on the fass pump about 2 months ago thinking that that was the problem. please help!!!.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What about your air filter?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i just cleaned it yesterday and still sputtering.

·
SuperDuperMod
2,841 Posts
whats your fuel pressure? Got any codes?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have no idea the fuel pressure i dont have a gauge.i havent checked the codes yet.i think i might have found the problem though.i have change the fuel filter on the fass pump but not the water air separator.i drained it about 30 minutes ago and then ran my truck no sputtering but i have done this before.i will see how long it goes with out sputtering.i dont know if i can take it off and clean it or should i just buy a new one?thanks allot for the help.

·
SuperDuperMod
2,841 Posts
I WOULD DEFINITLEY GET A FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE, low fuel pressure will kill your injecton pump quickly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes im actually looking into all new gauges.thanks for replying.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Atleast you know you have a goof fueling system. I suffer the same sputtering but mines more of a surge. I honestly think the throttle on my truck is so damn touchy with this stack that even though my foot is still on the pedal theres a TINY amount of play that could be affecting it. I'm gonna try a spring on the APPS bracked see if it will stiffen it up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Prolly sputtering because its running out of fuel.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Prolly sputtering because its running out of fuel.
Hes running FASS 150.Whats a pressure range that would cause surging? I'm just using a carter puser pump. I dont have a fuel gauge but i got a low pressure light(below 5psi). It never came on while mine was surging.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well yesterday i drained the plug on the water air separator and got some dirt particles and some water and ever since i did that its been running good no sputtering.hey another question if i left the old stock fuel filter on there truck but not hooked up would that make the truck think that i had dirty fuel and do weird stuff,because the filter was on the truck for a long time with fuel still in it and i noticed some wiring hook up on it.feels like a stupid question but i also removed the stock filter yesterday and still running fine.thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Wire Tap Connection On My Fass Pump?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh Well I Also Looked At That To And I Tigtin The Clamp On The Wire So Could That Cause The Truck To Sputter If It Was Lose? Cause Ever Since I Drained The Water Air Separator And Tightin That Clamp No Sputtering Truck Run Awsome Pulls Hard Through All The Gears.makes Me Smile Cause Ive Been Dealing With The Sputter For While Now.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yep that wire controls the fueling on the higher levels on the edge. A loose connection would cause the sputtering you described.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh Ok Thanks For The Info And All The Replies They Helped Allot!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts