Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
truck just started smoking at idle , smells like oil , like an oil leak on hot exhaust , could i have a blown oil seal on exhaust side of turbo . truck runs fine , no codes .

·
Banned
75 Posts
curious as to what color smoke also? and also how thick is the smoke coming out?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am in gales ferry , it is a light gray color , it reminds me of my small block chevy when the vlav colors would leak oil on the headers . had one of the mechincs at thboat yard i work at take a look he thinks turbo seal , i put of intake hose clean on intake side but lots of play in shaft can move enough to have it make a banging sound . is there an oil seal on the exhaust side of turbo that would dumped oil straight into exhaust that is causing this problem .

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
just grab a rebuild kit for the turbo, prolly $40, not too bad of a job, just remember to mark the shaft and impeller, so you can put it back together and keep it balanced. also the nut on the shaft that you take off to get the impeller off is left hand thread.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dont want to rebuild , gives the reason for new turbo . just need to deciede what i am going to put on it . my future plans where to fun 50 - 90 iinjetors and a turbo or tow twins .

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is there oil in the intake pipe (going to the intercooler) or in the downpipe? If there is oil in either one you have a bad seal.

·
2,798 Posts
Is there oil in the intake pipe (going to the intercooler) or in the downpipe? If there is oil in either one you have a bad seal.
downpipe isnt always a definite, a small leak will show no oil because it burns off. if you're going to spend some money twins is definitely the way to go, i want to do twins eventually.

·
Registered
205 Posts
downpipe isnt always a definite, a small leak will show no oil because it burns off. if you're going to spend some money twins is definitely the way to go, i want to do twins eventually.
If its leaking in the downpipe it should be all coked up.

Yes twins are shiznit, once you get them tuned in. If you get them make sure you match them to what you plan on doing with the truck or you wont like them.

·
2,798 Posts
i think im going to run dual hy-35's..... 3 cyl each, have to do some more research on how it will spool

·
Registered
205 Posts
You want twins and not compounds, why? Just asking. There is also sequential if you have some time to plan and some fabbing skills.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pulled off intake lot of play in shaft , pulled intercooler line its clean . i did not pull exhaust elbow to check that side . exhaust smells and looks like my old camaro with a small block chevy with oil leaking on the headers . i figure with the amount of play in shaft it damaged the seal on exhaust side , dont know what else it could be .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts