Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Truck shuts off when put into gear during cold start

5730 30
Okay this may be in the wrong section but if it is I apologize. I've got a built tranny with a billet triple disc converter. Now on a cold start if you put it in gear it shuts off. Let it warm up 15 minutes and it won't happen again. Opinions? Any one else have this problem? And if you did what'd you have to do to fix it?
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
How cold you talking? Any codes? TC could be slipping allowing it to stall, VP may be bad. Whats the fule pressure t oyour VP?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uh bout 50 degrees or so. Let it warm up for 15 minutes and it's fine. Fuel pressure I believe is 15psi. Whoever tapped the pump tapped it too close and the gauge bounces from 14-16psi. But if you put it in neutral right after start up it won't stall out. Put it in gearan it stalls out. But once you let it warm up it's fine for the rest of the day. Sometimes it does kind of bog down some times

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yea 50 degrees is not cold lol I start mine without plugging it in 10-20 degrees. It sounds like a converter to me

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been checking a mopar forum too. Seems to be the issue. I guess the only way to find out is to have it rebuilt lol. Pretty sure it still has a warranty on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My truck will do this sometimes if I don't let the temp get over 100 or so before going to drive. I think a lot of it has to do with the low stall of the converter (triple disc dpc). If I have to move it before it gets warm I put it in reverse first and its fine. I have also been told that it is a fairly common problem with vp trucks with bigger injectors.

Reactions: BEERPLAY

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My truck will do this sometimes if I don't let the temp get over 100 or so before going to drive. I think a lot of it has to do with the low stall of the converter (triple disc dpc). If I have to move it before it gets warm I put it in reverse first and its fine. I have also been told that it is a fairly common problem with vp trucks with bigger injectors.
I agree, Low stall converters and big injectors will do that. Ive had that problems for years.

Reactions: BEERPLAY

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Sounds normal to me, extremely low stall converters seem to do that. If you can sit with the truck in neutral for a few moments then you should be fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It bogs down hard when going into gear. I'll try putting it into neutral though. And turn the high idle on thru the iquad. That should help. And it does it going into reverse or drive.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
The high idle will shut off when you hit the brakes, I think, so that wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe it'd help it warm up quicker. I'm at a loss lol I don't always have 15 minutes to sit and wait for the tranny to warm up lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn that's weird. Glad I'm not the only one having this issue. I assume it's the stall in the tc then?

·
CAPTAIN DILLIGAF
4,229 Posts
:confused: MINE WILL DO THE SAME THING BUT ONLY IF I HAVE A LOAD BEHIND ME. I MAKE SURE I "WAKE UP" EARLY ENOUGH TO LET THE TRUCK GET GOOD AND WARM BEFORE I TAKE OFF. IM RUNNING THE REVMAX LOW STALL AND 7X.014 INJECTORS I THINK THE KEY IS GIVE YOUR MACHINE AMPLE TIME TO GET TO OPERATING TEMPS.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.