Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i was on my way home and was coming to an intersection and the truck just died...threw it in park and tried to turn it over and it wouldnt go...tried again with a little throttle and ithad enough to start but wanted to quit..pulled into a gas station and shut her off and looked under the hood around the pump for anything leaking or anything out of the ordinary. found nothing. started the truck up and the rpms took a second to even out and drove the truck home? what do you think it could be? new fuel filter last week.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
About how many miles do you have on the fuel filter. I have heard of air getting traped and can take a little while to get out. maybe 20 miles or so.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About how many miles do you have on the fuel filter. I have heard of air getting traped and can take a little while to get out. maybe 20 miles or so.
id say atleast 50-75 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Then I doubt that is the problem. still possible but doubt it. How long were you driving it for when it shut off. Did you notice any lack of power while driving?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then I doubt that is the problem. still possible but doubt it. How long were you driving it for when it shut off. Did you notice any lack of power while driving?
about 10miles...i did notice on the freeway when i got on it the smoke was more charcoal color than black which i thought was unusual. wasnt driving hard and more or less taking it easy other than getting on the freeway. once the truck startedit did seem a little under powered butcouldnt tell because well i was more concerned the tires would keep rolling than if ihad a ton of power

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Have you run it since. I don't think that it would be the injection pump don't think that it would have started up. I think I would check the filter, because when you are running stuff if being forced through the filter and things can block it off when you shut the engine off nothing is being forced and these little particls fall off and the truck will start and run. very rare.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you run it since. I don't think that it would be the injection pump don't think that it would have started up. I think I would check the filter, because when you are running stuff if being forced through the filter and things can block it off when you shut the engine off nothing is being forced and these little particls fall off and the truck will start and run. very rare.
as you know i got it home and shut it off.. its been a couplehours and i went out and it fired right up, let it idle for a minute at its at normal rpms, i revved it a couple times and it didnt miss or anything and it returned back to normal rpms so....???

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same type of problem a couple of months ago. It was very intermittent but kept getting worse until it quit completely. turns out it was the lift pump. put a gauge on the fuel inlet to the IP and look at your fuel pressure. Should be at least 18 psi. mine was running around 12psi and would go below that at some times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts