Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

truck shake?

1565 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  josh2477
i posted in the non powertrain section but also get you guys to help if you don't venture over there from time to time.

i noticed it today the truck shakes when your off the throttle in 3rd gear(40KM and slower) 2nd gear but if your staying at a constant speed or accelerating its gone, just anything below that 40 mark, also sometimes its completely gone, i checked the damn bearing and the ujoints and nothing the ubolts on the axle are tight and it doesn't move at all, so i have no clue whats going on, its annoying as ****,

can anyone sorta lead me to the right answer on this one?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
805 Posts
Well im not sure if you have the same problem that i had in my fummins truck. but when i would start to accelerate from a stop the whole truck would shake, figured out that the motor mounts were not torqued to specs. and that solved my problem. So i would say check all your mounts and see if they are loose or worn out.

· Registered
163 Posts
On These trucks both front axleshafts and the front driveshaft turn all the time. Anything rotating can cause a vibration. I have seen many times a front axleshaft u-joint, front driveshaft u-joint and excessive lateral play in the front output t-case bearing cause vibration problems in 2wd.

· Registered
577 Posts
i would re check the ujoints. mine was doing that and i checked and had a mechanic check the u-joints, and they seemed fine, no play, but the rear and the drivers front wheel one were shot. could only tell when we pullled them off. saw all the barrings were gone.. or it could be your unit bareing,

· Registered
5,648 Posts
I posted this over on DTR it was an answer for a U-joint question as well, it might help, just remember a joint can feel tight, but be siezed up, best way to test U-joints is to remove the shaft and rotate joint thru its range by hand

inspect the U-joints if you see rust colored dust near the joints they are done like dinner, you might not find them loose (as the needles pile up, tightening the joint) but if you remove the drv shaft and rotate the u-joint thru its range of motion I promise if a joint is bad you will find it by this method, rarely is it the joint closest to the transfercase, almost always its the one closest to the rear diff that goes first (it recieves the most articulation)
*****__________________

· Registered
492 Posts
every time i have gotten a vibration on deceleration problem it has turned out to be a u-joint. Usually the front joint on the rear driveshaft.

all my trucks are lifted and this is the joint with the worst drive angle...

· Banned
1,009 Posts
I agree, ujoint is the most likely cause. Even just moving the truck ahead a bit and checking the joint at a different angle can help find the bad one.

· Registered
66 Posts
my truck also had a wierd vibration and it turned out to be the the u-joint... mine lasted about 70K is this about normal for what others are seing?

· Registered
5,648 Posts
I didn't see anything with my driveshaft... i also jacked the front up and turned my wheels by hands and nothing bound up
jack the front up again(this takes the load off the driveline) and reach in and physically try to twist/move the joint, you will not "feel it bind" unless you have it in your hand, rotating the wheel wont help you, again if you see any rust "dust" that u-joint is shot and will need to be replaced.

twisting the u-joint while still on the truck works about 8 outta 10 times, If the truck still shakes/vibrates and the joints seem tight remove the drv shaft and rotate thru the range of motion any binding indicates a bad joint

· Registered
57 Posts
Thanks guys...as soon as I get some time I'll be taking my driveshaft off to try and see if its in the rear. If its not there I'll be taking it somewhere...not too sure about taking my hub and all that junk off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.