Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time using a forum, i hope people are still active
i have a 1989 dodge ram ( not sure what how to know if its 89.5. says in the side of my door it was manufactured may of 89) 2500 with a 24 valve. i purchased it about a week ago knowing it had some transmission issue but the transmission issue stopped all of a sudden
anyway , i wanted to use my truck 2 days ago. i turned it on and noticed the idle was higher than my dad’s 05 ram , so i saw there was a screw on the throttle cable thing so i backed it out a little expecting the idle speed to drop a little. nothing happened so returned it approximately where it was before. i sat there and just looked around in the engine bay & then i pulled the throttle cable a little bit to hear it. i pulled it very slightly and the rpm went up , i assume it was around 3k then went back down , i rushed to the drivers seat and turned it off . i saw that the dash had a check engine light so i scanned it .
the codes i got were p1698 ( fault it companion module ) & p0606 ( ECM/PCM processor )
i left it and came inside to look them up
i later went and turned it on again and it did little revs by its self and when i slightly tapped the throttle it jumped to about 3.2k and turned it off quick fearing it’ll go over redline.
today i was taking a look at it again , turned on again & same thing happed . sometimes i get 3 codes , sometimes i get 2; p0606 ( ECM/PCM processor ) and p1689 ( CAN bus failure [ no comm between CM551 and VP44 module] )
the previous owner told me the owner before him changed the vp44 pump , and well the pump doesnt look very old
i’d really appreciate any help , thankyou if read all of that

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Hold up hold up hold up. 1 Elaborate on your parts more. 2 an 89 Cummins never came with a 24 valve. 3 if you mean 1998.5 Cummins then yes you're in the right section.

Please revise your thread so we can get a better understanding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hold up hold up hold up. 1 Elaborate on your parts more. 2 an 89 Cummins never came with a 24 valve. 3 if you mean 1998.5 Cummins then yes you're in the right section.

Please revise your thread so we can get a better understanding.
it has a 24 valve so its a 98.5 then . the truck is super stock , even has silencing ring on turbo

·
Registered
288 Posts
Do you get the wait to start light? P0606 is ECM Internal fault condition detected. The P1689 is a communication code between the pump and the ecu. Basically, the pump is yelling hey where is my ecu I can't find him! Can't find him because he's dead. P0606 is almost aways a failed ECU among all the auto manufactures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you get the wait to start light? P0606 is ECM Internal fault condition detected. The P1689 is a communication code between the pump and the ecu. Basically, the pump is yelling hey where is my ecu I can't find him! Can't find him because he's dead. P0606 is almost aways a failed ECU among all the auto manufactures.
i didnt think much of it , but actually i didnt see the wait to start light the last couple times i’ve started it . so i’m going to have to replace my ecu ? is there a way that i can see thats its for sure the ecu ?

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
NO WTS and 606 are correct, BAD ECM . NO reason to pay for somebody to to read the code for you. If you look for used any 98.5 or 99 will fit and is the smae PN. PN is on the unit and the last three digets are 336.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
PS Welcome, some of us are still here and some new experts too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts