Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck will not start. Was running perfectly fine. Until the other day I went to go leave work and no crank, no click either. Turned the key on and had power (Headlights lights, radio, dash display, ect) . Amperage Gauge was reading properly. But when I went to start the truck nothing... had to tow it with my forklift at work and pop start it to eventually get it running but that’s the only way to get it started. Put a multi meter on the battery’s and was reading okay. Checked every fuse I could possibly find and nothing. Even tried to bump start the starter but couldnt get it to turn over. I suspected it was the safety switch for my clutch but I tested it and it checked out alright. Finally got the truck home and the red circle light, on the dash stays on now (when it normally wouldn’t) and it’s throwing a p2509 code. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
2010 mega w/G56 bone stock
31 Posts
I'd check both batteries and their connections.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Truck will not start. Was running perfectly fine. Until the other day I went to go leave work and no crank, no click either. Turned the key on and had power (Headlights lights, radio, dash display, ect) . Amperage Gauge was reading properly. But when I went to start the truck nothing... had to tow it with my forklift at work and pop start it to eventually get it running but that’s the only way to get it started. Put a multi meter on the battery’s and was reading okay.
What is a pop start?
You have an amp gauge in your truck and it reads Ok? What’s that?
You used a voltmeter and it’s reading OK? What’s that?
you need to remove and load test each battery individually and while they’re out go over every battery cable connection front to back especially your crossover cable itself.
Voltage readings don’t tell you anything about cranking amps.
Since you talk about using a voltmeter that would be good to use for checking power at your starter solenoid.

·
Trying to learn
7,803 Posts
The pop start is when you push/pull the vehicle, with the key on, then engage the clutch with the trans in a mid-range gear.

Answer @N of 60 to get more info.

·
Registered
105 Posts
SYMPTOM
P2509-POWERDOWN DATA LOST ERROR

WHEN MONITORED
Continuous - Key on or Key off.

SET CONDITION
Loss of voltage detected at the ECM for a calibrated amount of time.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

• Poor connections at the batteries
  • Low battery voltage
  • Open fused B+ To ECM
  • Open ground circuit
  • Battery + shorted to other circuits
  • Return circuit shorted
  • Battery + shorted to ground
  • Intermittent condition

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SYMPTOM
P2509-POWERDOWN DATA LOST ERROR

WHEN MONITORED
Continuous - Key on or Key off.

SET CONDITION
Loss of voltage detected at the ECM for a calibrated amount of time.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

• Poor connections at the batteries
  • Low battery voltage
  • Open fused B+ To ECM
  • Open ground circuit
  • Battery + shorted to other circuits
  • Return circuit shorted
  • Battery + shorted to ground
  • Intermittent condition

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your reply’s and help. Turns out the crossover lines between the two battery’s were bad. The crimp connection on the passage side was completely loose and shot. All should be good now

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Post #3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts