Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I think I know what it is. I have seen this before.

Sounds like you may have a sticking plunger or two in your injection pump.

Try loosening all 12 bolts holding your plunger housing in place and retorque them. It may be beneficial to rack them as well.

If one bolt is tighter than the other it will cause symptoms like this.

My only other suggestion is clogged and weak injectors or your lift pump. Those have probably been said previously though.

I’m willing to try that, I’ll try loosening the bolts and retorque them, what’s the torque spec on them?
I’ve been reading up a bit on racking them this eve. Would like to try it but little nervous 😬.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I appreciate all the suggestions, i got new fuel rated rubber fuel lines.
Did you also replace the hose between the prefilter and pump? If not, check it for cracks and moisture and replace if at all suspect.

I have not checked that hose, will do it just to check it off the list 👌

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
I’ve been reading up a bit on racking them this eve. Would like to try it but little nervous.
With good cause. It is a very good way to render your p-pump totally inop. The tq for the barrel bolts isn't published because Bosch keeps a tight rein on it's product. Only the early pumps were known for their warped barrels and sticky plungers. The symptoms are only apparent when the pump gets heated after operating awhile, not on start-up. I've never heard of one where the engine died out of nowhere, then cranked and ran like nothing was wrong. The quick and easy check is to pour some cold water over it when the engine misbehaves. If the symptoms go away it is pump rebuild time. I doubt that is your issue.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have racked 7 trucks over the last 10 years and all of them have been fine. I have known at least 25 people who I have met a various events who have racked. All of them have been fine.

Everyone of my personal trucks I have racked.

Last I torqued my housings I used 30 ftlbs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I’ve been reading up a bit on racking them this eve. Would like to try it but little nervous.
With good cause. It is a very good way to render your p-pump totally inop. The tq for the barrel bolts isn't published because Bosch keeps a tight rein on it's product. Only the early pumps were known for their warped barrels and sticky plungers. The symptoms are only apparent when the pump gets heated after operating awhile, not on start-up. I've never heard of one where the engine died out of nowhere, then cranked and ran like nothing was wrong. The quick and easy check is to pour some cold water over it when the engine misbehaves. If the symptoms go away it is pump rebuild time. I doubt that is your issue.

Its actually never done it when the motor is cold. But when it straitens out it’s still warm, never had to let it sit more than couple minutes maybe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
When it happens it sounds like it’s not running on all cylinders. I thought it was maybe air in the fuel to begin with but it sounds more like it’s dropping a cylinder or two. I’m green with this stuff so I may not be explaining the symptoms well enough🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
When it happens it sounds like it’s not running on all cylinders. I thought it was maybe air in the fuel to begin with but it sounds more like it’s dropping a cylinder or two. I’m green with this stuff so I may not be explaining the symptoms well enough🤦‍♂️
My truck did this when the ofv was bad. It could be anything really.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I have good fuel pressure though, 25-30psi. Although pressure bleeds off as soon as I shut off the truck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think if plungers are sticking there would be scuff marks on the barrels. Is it possible to visually examine the barrels with the delivery valves out?
You should also try to confirm that the pump is a 180 and not a 160. It could have been swapped.

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
When it happens it sounds like it’s not running on all cylinders. I thought it was maybe air in the fuel to begin with but it sounds more like it’s dropping a cylinder or two. I’m green with this stuff so I may not be explaining the symptoms well enough
Not running on all cylinders is a lot different than randomly dieing. It would be great if you were consistent and accurate in the description. Pressure dropping to zero when you shut it off is normal.

Reactions: dd453ford

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
When it happens it sounds like it’s not running on all cylinders. I thought it was maybe air in the fuel to begin with but it sounds more like it’s dropping a cylinder or two. I’m green with this stuff so I may not be explaining the symptoms well enough
Not running on all cylinders is a lot different than randomly dieing. It would be great if you were consistent and accurate in the description. Pressure dropping to zero when you shut it off is normal.
GAmes I really appreciate your help, I know you are very knowledgeable, I on the other hand am not. I’m self taught 90% of that is from reading on here. Reading and writing are not my strong suit, hence my low post count. None the less I’m trying to give full and accurate information to the best of my knowledge. Yesterday it dawned on me that it sounded more like loosing a cylinder, again learning as I go. Sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think I’m going to get my pump checked out, not sure what else. I don’t have money to throw around but if it fixes something then good and if not at least it’s been gone through and balanced. I need to get this thing totally reliable, wife’s loosing a little bit of faith lol.
I’m planning to go through diesel Tuff , unless someone has serious suggestions for guy in western Canada

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think I’m going to get my pump checked out, not sure what else. I don’t have money to throw around but if it fixes something then good and if not at least it’s been gone through and balanced. I need to get this thing totally reliable, wife’s loosing a little bit of faith lol.
I’m planning to go through diesel Tuff , unless someone has serious suggestions for guy in western Canada
Did you check the hose between the prefilter and pump?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I did, couldn’t find any signs of it leaking, didn’t look cracked or any wet spots anywhere, but I’ll replace it just cuz it’s old and simple to do. Plan on pulling the pump this week. Hope I can report back that I made the right call lol
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was wondering if there was a solution to this problem I believe I am experiencing similar. Out of no where truck died driving down road when I came to stop. I have 5 speed and can feel truck not want to accelerate and when I push clutch in it died instantly. I can restart the truck while holding throttle down but now without. What is strange is after I fill up it is fine for a while till about a quarter tank. First day it did it I filled up and drove another almost 200 miles. To a job about 2 hours away it was hot so I let it idle for almost an 45-1hr it had no issues starting without throttle and ran great. Then hop in and truck dies as soon as I get up to the first light on highway after getting up to speed. I was able to make it to fuel up past half tank and did not do it for next 75 miles or 1.5 hour drive. I have 25 psi fuel pressure unless wot then got down to 15. I know I’m lacking fuel however this does not happen wot and has over 20 psi when dies. I installed new lift pump, I have the torq tek ofv 75 horse injectors 4K gsk truck has 225,000 miles. I have messed with the connections to fsv after I filled up and ran fine. Other than it dying truck runs great even with 2 welders and utility body filled with tools she moves no problem. The truck is 95 cab and chassis 2wd with solid front axle. I have looked and looked all over the internet with no success as seems everyone else has issues with the truck running poorly. Thank you for any responses.

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
I was wondering if there was a solution to this problem I believe I am experiencing similar. Out of no where truck died driving down road when I came to stop. I have 5 speed and can feel truck not want to accelerate and when I push clutch in it died instantly. I can restart the truck while holding throttle down but now without. What is strange is after I fill up it is fine for a while till about a quarter tank. First day it did it I filled up and drove another almost 200 miles. To a job about 2 hours away it was hot so I let it idle for almost an 45-1hr it had no issues starting without throttle and ran great. Then hop in and truck dies as soon as I get up to the first light on highway after getting up to speed. I was able to make it to fuel up past half tank and did not do it for next 75 miles or 1.5 hour drive. I have 25 psi fuel pressure unless wot then got down to 15. I know I’m lacking fuel however this does not happen wot and has over 20 psi when dies. I installed new lift pump, I have the torq tek ofv 75 horse injectors 4K gsk truck has 225,000 miles. I have messed with the connections to fsv after I filled up and ran fine. Other than it dying truck runs great even with 2 welders and utility body filled with tools she moves no problem. The truck is 95 cab and chassis 2wd with solid front axle. I have looked and looked all over the internet with no success as seems everyone else has issues with the truck running poorly. Thank you for any responses.
If the problem only occurs after you are below a certain point on the fuel gauge has it ever crossed your mind that there might be a hole in the fuel pickup hose inside the fuel tank?

BTW, 75 horse injectors has no meaning. Number of holes, hole size and spray angle is how injectors are identified i.e. 5X12 45 degrees There is no telling what you have, not that it makes a difference in this problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes checking the tank was my next step I was just hoping I did not have to, and I apologize for the 75hp injectors I purchased them off of the market place listed as 75 hp injectors. I appreciate your input and hopefully can find some time this weekend to check that out.

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
I purchased them off of the market place listed as 75 hp injectors.
I try to avoid sellers who prey on potential customers lack of knowledge. They either don't know themselves or they are too lazy to pass on a little knowledge for education sake. Obviously, an injector installed on a 160 HP engine will give more of a power gain than if they are installed in a 215 HP engine. It is a crapshoot of actual HP increase, in either engine.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
I purchased them off of the market place listed as 75 hp injectors.
I try to avoid sellers who prey on potential customers lack of knowledge. They either don't know themselves or they are too lazy to pass on a little knowledge for education sake. Obviously, an injector installed on a 160 HP engine will give more of a power gain than if they are installed in a 215 HP engine. It is a crapshoot of actual HP increase, in either engine.
Factory 215s are often labled as 40hp injectors. They probably wont add 40hp to a 215 o 180 truck. Maybe on a 160 truck.
Hp ratings are useless

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
No solution yet, I haven’t been under the hood in a long time. Busy with work, and rodeos this summer. Should be home this weekend, first time since beginning of June. Hope to get the pump pulled and sent off. See what the pros say 🤷‍♂️

41 - 60 of 70 Posts