Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been having this problem randomly. It did this a couple times last year, then it was fine for the longest time. This week it started again. It acts like it’s starved for fuel. I will be driving down the road out of no where it dies, throttle is unresponsive. Come to a stop, check the fss to make sure it’s all the way up, it is, jump in truck sometimes it fires up and drive good again decent power, like nothing is wrong. Some times runs rough sputtering and coughing.
Hope I wrote this in a way that makes sense lol typing not my strong suite.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and I hooked up a old mechanical pressure gauge to the banjo bolt on the pump, fuel pressure is 22 ish at idle, 30ish going down the road. But next time I’m in town I’ll get a new gauge I don’t completely trust this one

·
Registered
737 Posts
Get a gauge you can trust. A quality gauge should show if you are drawing air in the suction side.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay will do. I think I’ll order a speedhut gauge, going to replace my whole cluster with them yet. Is there a reason to go higher than 60psi?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not unless you want tons of power with a 160HP pump.

Also check out the fuel system troubleshooting sticky in this forum. There is good info there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep been starting to read through them a bit. I’ll report once I get a new gauge.
Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed a new gauge. About 24psi at idle, 35ish at free rev. Tomorrow I will do a WOT run to see how far it pulls down. As soon as I shut the truck off the fuel pressure drops to 0, it’s a mechanical gauge. The truck also runs rough when it’s cold, smokes blue and misses during higher rpm. I’m thinking air in fuel system? OFV?
Will change fuel filter this week just to rule that out.

·
Premium Member
20,138 Posts
If you have air in the system it will be hard to start, also you can check easy by opening the filter bleeder and manually pumping the LP and watching for air bubbles. Make sure the truck has sat for about 1 hr before doing that test.

Is your gridheater working that can cause rough start and smoke when cold.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grid heaters work, I have them on a manual switch though. Shouldn’t need to use them when it’s 60f above I wouldn’t think. I’ll see if there’s any air in it after work.
GAmes I have read through joe G’s, but I need to sit down and study it better. I will definitely check the pre filter, I deleted the fuel heater couple years ago.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You may have an intermittent short to the fss. With the truck running try wiggling the wires going to the fss and lightly tapping on the fss. Also confirm the linkage doesn't have any play at the end. I would also consider checking the fuel tank for algae growth as a last resort if all else fails.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ll check the fss again to make sure, I did take it off last fall and make sure it was properly adjusted. With how random and inconsistent it dies on me I feel like it’s like a bad connection. The way it smokes and sputters when u first start it up and free rev it even when it’s warm made me think it might be more.
I’m changing fuel filter tonight just to rule that out. If the injectors are original they have 430000km on them. FWIW

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
That's only about 260,000 miles, well within the injector life span. That is unless you have been dumping non-fuel into the tank like waste motor oil or ATF.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
I would also consider checking the fuel tank for algae growth as a last resort if all else fails.
Algae crossed my mind too. Waiting to hear what the filter and pre-filter screen look.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Filter doesn’t look too bad I don’t think but the pre-filter definitely had crap in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took it for a test run, at idle it’s about 35psi, and hard wot it won’t pull down past 24-25 psi. Truck runs a little bit smoother too I think. It hasn’t died since I started this thread. But I’d like to take care of the blue ish smoke and sputtering when the engine isn’t fully up to temp. Little bit lost of what to check now. One thing i have never done is Check the timing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If the FSS is suspect you could tie it in the run position with wire or a zip tie and see if it will stay running. Your pre filter wasn't as bad as mine. I just changed it 2 weeks ago @ 316000 miles and broke the paint off when I loosened it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It does stay running, it died twice last week but has been good Since. Next time it dies I’ll really check the fss. I hate trying to fix a problem that only happens ones in a blue moon lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
Because this is a conversion there could be a problem with the way the fuel tank is set up, causing an intermittent air leak when the tank is low. Has the problem ever occurred with a full tank? Is the return line set up to always be submerged? Does there seem to be any issues when driving up and down hills?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used a tank from a 92 Cummins, so it should be setup the same way. It doesn't seem to make a difference fuel level or up/down hill.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts