Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tranny started sticking in third gear, so I had it built. I got the truck back Saturday and that night it done the same thing, so I moved a few relays around in the fuse box and it shifted fine. I went to drive the truck this morning and it done the same thing, so once again I moved a few relays and the truck is shifting fine, what gives? Like I have posted in another tread before I have had relay problems since I have owed the truck (2 fuel pump, one A/C, and one fog light relay). What do you guys think the problem is?

·
Registered
124 Posts
check the bottom of the relay panel for corrosion or moisture. if all is good, the check for good power coming in. a low power input will cause a relay to over heat... hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
check the bottom of the relay panel for corrosion or moisture. if all is good, the check for good power coming in. a low power input will cause a relay to over heat... hope this helps.
:agree2: moisture is the biggest killer for relays. Also look at the grounds for the tipm. Might have some resistance and can cause the same issue as low power.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well all the grounds have been checked, and I put two new batteries in it today hoping it might be a voltage problem. Later this afternoon I had to switch around the tranny relay again to get it to shift properly, its not killing the relay I can take it out and put it straight back in and the tranny will shifted fine until the truck is turned off and started back, but it doesn't happen every time. The when leaving for my lunch break tonight the truck wouldn't start, I had power but it wouldn't turn over. I put another relay in for the starter solenoid and the truck started, I tried the old one after starting the truck and the relay was dead. This problem is going to make me pull my hair out...

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Sounds as if you just might have to take it to a dealer to get them to check the TIPM with their scanner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts