Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so heres the story...i was daily driving my truck and never had any problems. The injection pump and lift pump both were replaced less than a year ago by the previous owner. Being my stupid self i put a drag comp in before a airdog...to make a long story short one day i checked my codes for the heck of it and i had the p0216 or whatever the injection timing code is. I then checked fuel pressure and it was 10 psi at idle and reving on it i got it down to 6. So immediately i stopped driving it except for a couple blocks to weld my airdog bracket on. On this short trip it once after idleing for a min seemed to have dead pedal but quit right away and didnt do it anymore. So it sat for a couple weeks and i got the airdog installed and now it sometimes hazes white smoke at idle, and when i rev it to 1300-1500 rpm it shakes like its missing and pours a lot of white smoke. It always starts perfect no problem and there is no other codes besides injection pump. I automatically assumed injection pump is bad but i never had a single problem until i let it sit...so now i am wondering about maybe wastegate stuck open? Any help with diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance
chris

· Rescue Tower
11,008 Posts
If you clear your codes and it comes back you may have put the hurt on the new IP, which it seems like you did. A stuck waste gate won't create a dead pedal condition, or hazing at idle. Put your truck details in your signature so we don't have to ask for details one at a time to get a complete picture.

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i know the wastegate wont cause the dead pedal but that only lasted a few secs and then it quit...i know the vp has issues because of the code, but i just dont get how it got real bad from sitting... yes the code comes back after i clear it, not always right away though...

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the airdog system it doesnt use the factory fuel filter...so the filter is brand new

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe...how do you test one? Is it just a pressure and volume check like a gas vehicle?

· Premium Member
75 Posts
my vp44 did the same thing when it went. plus I had a dead pedal below 1500rpms under load. If you free revved it, lots of white smoke, missing, shuddering, sounded like crap.

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so today i finished installing my gauges...18-20 psi of fuel pressure out of the airdog...so i took it out to drive it and it smoked a little white once or twice right away and then it was fine...runs better than ever. So maybe could it have had air in the line? I cleared the code and it hasnt come back yet. I also found out that i must have wastegate issues with the hy because it boosted to 40 psi on level 5x5 and maybe could have went more but i let out right away...the egts also hit like 1400-1450.

· Premium Member
1,508 Posts
my truck does the same thing. if its in park and i rev it i see white smoke and sometimes when im driving i'll see greyish colored smoke when i get on it instead of just black and its the vp but it aint dead yet so im still driving it

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah it doesnt white smoke at all anymore but i got dead pedal for like 2 secs tonight driving down the road..i just let out of it and then it was fine. So i am assuming the vp will eventually go out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.