Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 ram 3500. this past week my truck would loose speed every time going up hill pulling about 25000 lbs and would throw a p0087 code. I replaced both fuel filters and it helped if i stayed off the throttle and maintained speed but if I were to accelerate harder than it would throw the code and go limp. anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 3500 and it’s doing the same thing, replaced the fuel filters and ran great , went over 2500 rpm and never thru a code , them the next day it’s started doing the same thing again with the p0087. Was able to swap out fuel rail pressure relief valve and did not fix it. Hopefully someone else has an answer, I’m sure we’re not the only ones with this problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess due to driving a 2500 2012. I always loose speed when pulling 18k. Depending on the hill could be down to 45mph. Seems to hold at that speed. Hopefully delete will solve that issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2012 2500 and I have been getting that code. Took it to the dealer, they were no help. They changed the fuel filter and called it fixed. As soon as I pull my 5th wheel, and go up a hill. The P0087 code comes on. I have all the gauges. Fuel rail, pyrometer, fuel pressure, and turbo boost. I noticed that my fuel pressure drops to about 8 when going up grade, and that code pops up. I'm going to drop fuel tank and clean it and install new fuel pump. I hope that solves it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That definitely sounds like a clogged or failing lift pump. Try opening the rear water separator valve and see if you have pressure coming out. If it just falls out and doesnt spray then your lift pump is going.

It's been a month since the OP made this post I wonder if he solved the issue as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
A gauge monitoring low side pressure would be very helpful in troubleshooting this issue. The factory setup isn't the easiest to add an inline gauge to but that'll tell you which side of the CP3 the problem is occurring at

1 - 7 of 7 Posts