Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck seems to be stuck in regen. Unloaded: city egt's are about 900, highway 1,000+. On the highway will be 1000 then go to 1200 in about 2 seconds. Stay there for about 5 seconds then go back to 1000. OR it will just stay around 1000 but doesn't get any less than 1000 deg. on the highway. Has been doing this for a few days over about 150 or so miles. What the deal? Thanks.

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No codes & I DREAD having to go to the dealer. There's not one around me that knows squat not to mention Chrysler doesn't give loaner vehicled. Regen ie. regeneration process of the DPF(also known as a royal pain in the a$$).

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mines stock and when im on the hwy my temps are around 1000-1100 at times....6.7's run hotter than 5.9s anyways. are you sure you are in regen?
Mine is too, when it's regen'ing. I KNOW it is in regen. I watch my gauges like a hawk & I know when it is doing what. Normally mine is 800 deg. driving down the highway w/about 5-10lbs. boost. Not 1000-1200 & -0- boost.

· Registered
509 Posts
i do too...and mine runs 1000-1100 on the hwy at all times unless ur going down hill....when its in regen ive seen it as high as 1300 consistanly. just sayin what mine does....plus the egde tells me when its in regen.

2021 DRW CCLB 4X4
5,383 Posts
Yes they do run hotter but we need some more info from ya bud. Like , are you still running the OEM exhaust and hauling anything . I also re-read your 1st post too. I see that it was happening over a few days of driving for 150 miles or so. You may have been in the middle of a regen when you n oticed it and shut the truck down before you were done with the regen. Then the next day when you were on the road again, it was trying to finish cleaning itself out, like it should do. These regens need alot of heat when cleaning so maybe you were not getting it hot enough to complete the process ? I know mine will regen for 20 miles or so. If you are only on the highway for a little bit then back to the city, maybe its not getting a good cleaning time,,,,,Take a nice long hard trip to see if that helps you get it cleaned out. Hook up to a heavy trailer and give her hell for 30 or 40 miles ..

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes they do run hotter but we need some more info from ya bud. Like , are you still running the OEM exhaust and hauling anything . I also re-read your 1st post too. I see that it was happening over a few days of driving for 150 miles or so. You may have been in the middle of a regen when you n oticed it and shut the truck down before you were done with the regen. Then the next day when you were on the road again, it was trying to finish cleaning itself out, like it should do. These regens need alot of heat when cleaning so maybe you were not getting it hot enough to complete the process ? I know mine will regen for 20 miles or so. If you are only on the highway for a little bit then back to the city, maybe its not getting a good cleaning time,,,,,Take a nice long hard trip to see if that helps you get it cleaned out. Hook up to a heavy trailer and give her hell for 30 or 40 miles ..
While this has been going on I pulled my 8800lb fifth wheel 30 mi. to camp. It did it the whole way there. Then 30 mi back & it did it the whole way back. The towing w/my fifth wheel was all highway. I was easy on it on the way there but dogged it kinda hard on the way back. It would not go less than 1200+ degrees both ways up to 1400. I'm stock w/my jr. not loaded on the truck for the last 100 or so miles. I'm gonna drive to BPS tomorrow which is all highway 100 mi. round trip & see what happens. If it doesn't come out after that then it's off to the stealership. BTW all of this started after I loaded the Smarty jr. (S software) on my truck & drove for a total of about 40-50 mi. I noticed it was doing what it is doing so I unloaded it & it has not come out of regen yet. I don't think the jr. has anything to do w/it.

2021 DRW CCLB 4X4
5,383 Posts
Ok , well your temps will be higher while towing an 8800 lb. camper too. I dont know what to say since it could be a few things that all happened in a funny pattern , maybe. Im just tossing this out here now, sorry haha.. BUTTTT maybe your temps were higher just because you were towing and it wasnt in regen, then when you unhooked the trailer , your truck went into regen. ??? Does this make sense? Also, what flash are you at ? Does the Jr bring you up to the most current flash like the SR ? Just keep an eye on your EGTs and fuel mileage for us the next few days. There are alot smarter guys on here that may be able to help with a diagnoses. Keep us as informed as possible so we can get a better idea of what and when its doing it. good luck

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Is the exhaust hot and stinky like a regen when you are done?

Just thinking it could be a bad pyro.

I did read another thread where a guy was stuck in regen, he had a SJR too.... Not saying thats it by any means, just throwing anything out there.

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, the exhaust is def. hot. You can put your hand about 6" from the pipe & it will burn the hell out of you after about a second and a half. Smells funny too.

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got back from a 100mi round trip all hiway except for about 3 miles. The EGT's finally dropped after about 65mi. & mpg went up about 3.5mpg's according to liar overhead. Once I got back in town i drove about 3 mi. then got back on hiway & punch it. When I got up to speed and cruising EGT's shot to 1250 from 850 for about 2 sec. & then went back down to 850. I sooooooo need an exhaust delete. Any ideas on this problem?

2021 DRW CCLB 4X4
5,383 Posts
Well it sounds like your exhaust has been getting pretty full and its only been regening enough to keep you running. Now maybe its starting to cause problems because it needs a manual regeneration or a full delete ? How much warranty do you still have,miles ?

· Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's all good now. Don't know what the deal was except for mikes said about it not being able to fully regen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.