Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is very sick. I was diriving it and all of a sudden, no power and lots of smoke (blue, grey black). Changed the fuel filter, but didn't help. Checked fuel pressure and was low, so I stretched the overflow valve spring and got the pressure back up to mid 20s to 30 just above idle. Engine has a louder clank and will barely idle. No boost either. When I got it running, I checked the exhaust manifold temps at the ports and #5 is about 60 degress cooler. #1,2,and 6 were about 170, #3 and 4 were about 158 and #5 was about 110. This is just above idle. The truck only has 118,000 miles on it. I talked with Richard at Coaltrain and he said it was probably an injector or timing problem. I can get a set of 435 injectors for it (I know they're big). Will they run ok with a slightly modified pump ("0" plate and 4k gsk) and 4" exhaust and the Banks housing on the turbo? Or should I get some smaller injectors?

Thanks for any and all help.
Chuck

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts
you sure you didn't drop a valve?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not that kind of clanking noise, so I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
My truck is very sick. I was diriving it and all of a sudden, no power and lots of smoke (blue, grey black). Changed the fuel filter, but didn't help. Checked fuel pressure and was low, so I stretched the overflow valve spring and got the pressure back up to mid 20s to 30 just above idle. Engine has a louder clank and will barely idle. No boost either. When I got it running, I checked the exhaust manifold temps at the ports and #5 is about 60 degress cooler. #1,2,and 6 were about 170, #3 and 4 were about 158 and #5 was about 110. This is just above idle. The truck only has 118,000 miles on it. I talked with Richard at Coaltrain and he said it was probably an injector or timing problem. I can get a set of 435 injectors for it (I know they're big). Will they run ok with a slightly modified pump ("0" plate and 4k gsk) and 4" exhaust and the Banks housing on the turbo? Or should I get some smaller injectors?

Thanks for any and all help.
Chuck

it sounds to me like the death of a turbo...

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It doesnt sounds like injectors to me, Also I wouldnt go that big with the mods you have done.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sounds like a dead turbo to me, too. If it wasted the impeller, the little pieces of impeller could be holding a valve open just enough to clank, plus it would be dumping black from overfueling, white from unburnt fuel from the cylinder with the bonus metal. Not sure about the blue smoke. I would pull the turbo inlet and have a peek. Pretty easy to do.

Another possibility would be something in the valvetrain. Broken spring, tappet etc. would cause similar problems. Perhaps a thrown rod? That's pretty easy to check, too.

110, huh? Yeah, pull the #5 valve cover! Maybe it's something simple! :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turbo looks fine. spins free and very little play. pulled the valve covers and all is good. the clank only happens during accel and appears to come from the top of the engine like an ignition knock.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Dang. Well I would say that maybe a wrist pin :( I have heard of them walking out. I still am wondering about #5. I thought that #1 got less air or ran cooler or something.

I suppose it might be an injector, if the orifice opened up somehow or was sticking open, the injection would take place earlier as the pressure would not have to overcome the spring in the injector. So it would deliver excessive fuel, and knock badly. I have trouble understanding why no boost, though.

What I will note is that two things can make less heat in the cylinder; 1. less fuel 2. less compression. I am still kind of hanging on the low temp. Maybe it is a bad injector. It would account for the bad idle, the bad knock, and the billowing smoke.

Here's another thought; If it only clanks when you get on it, that could be from loading the engine, but if it was an engine problem, there would be some bad noises without the load too, probably. Leans more towards an injector problem. Sorry for the goose chase with the valves and turbo, but probably good to eliminate the easy ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts