Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today on the way to work I was about 20 miles into the trip there. I came to a stop light and had to down shift to second. When i began moving again i heard a whinning noise from the truck. i can only hear it when i'm at about 1700- 2200rpm. from there if i'm in sixth and i just push the go petal down it does it. It sounds like a little kid is yelling across a big valley. You can hear it but it seems distant. When i got home i parked in the drive and put it in neutral and reved her up but no noise. The only thing i can think of is... I left the 4wheel drive switch on 4high while it was parked in the drive for about a day. Would that be possible that the 4wd is still activated? Thanks in advanced!

Ps: I also pulled to the side and put it in 4wd and went about 100ft and then turned it back off and still had the same problem.
2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 dually CC with G56

·
Registered
275 Posts
You would definatly know if you were running around in 4WD. Sounds like you may have an exhaust leak, or possibly a leak in the intake or near the turbo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was a exhaust leak wouldn't i have heard it when i was sitting in my drive revving it up?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not really, revving it like that won't build up enough exhaust back pressure or boost pressure for it, you have put a load on the engine i.e. power stalling or driving it. I would take a look around your exhaust manifold and turbo and check for black soot, if you find any that will be the source of your exhaust leak. But could also be a boost leak, and those are a little harder to find.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i checked for leak in the exhaust and soot around the turbo and also for boost. Found nothing. Truck didn't do it on the way to work but on the way home it did. I do have a P0245A code but from what i looked up it has nothing to do with the above mentioned. Any idearrs...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts