Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm back with a potential problem. After driving to work, I put the truck in park and it idled up to 1000rpm. Coolant was at 210 (stop and go traffic today) and outside temp was 91 without humidity. Once I shut the truck off and started it again, it didn't do it. Scanned it and no codes, no smoke at idle and it only lightly smokes when i floor it (figured that's normal). Trucks stock, besides exhaust and is an early 04, auto. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
did you have cruise control on and bumped high idle on by accident? If it's enabled.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Check for fan wiring damage ,,, and fan codes .

At 210* you should have heard the fan kick in / roar ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard no roar, I assumed the fan worked because when I first start the truck, the fan is on for a few seconds. I've re-routed the fan clutch wiring so it doesn't get caught any more, but i will double check in a few minutes.

Check for fan wiring damage ,,, and fan codes .

At 210* you should have heard the fan kick in / roar ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I checked the wiring and everything was fine. Fan clutch spins with resistance. I did notice the plug wasn't fully in, so I put a zip tie around it. Maybe that was my problem. If it was, I'll feel pretty stupid about it lol.

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
In the ecm it shows at 225 degrees it idles up to 1k rpm not just when it’s cold

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's probably why it did it then. I think my fan clutch might not be working. I went for a little drive today and when I got home, I popped the hood and the fan clutch was barely spinning. Truck wasn't as hot as yesterday, but it was a little past the middle point

In the ecm it shows at 225 degrees it idles up to 1k rpm not just when it’s cold

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Gauges in cluster are EMIC(cluster) computer/software generated info, not real accurate.
Should try read direct sensor data with appropriate monitor to get real numbers for diagnosing issues .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts