Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dads 1996 CTD automatic sometimes dies when put into reverse to pull out of the driveway. It has only happened a couple time since he bought it but it worries him. I think he has a 47re but not sure. Has anyone had this problem? I know there is a tranny speed sensor on the back of the tranny that is like 20 bucks but don't know if thats the problem. I wonder why though the engine would die. He does let the oil pressure come up to normal before he does put it in reverse. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I appriciate the help I will try it

·
Registered
555 Posts
ya sounds like low idle adjustment is needed to me. i set mine around 650 in park or neutral and thats pretty perfect for me. the previous owner had it around 400 in park and 300 or less in drive. poor thing didnt even creep in traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Ya Id check the idle make sure its at or close to 600rpm in neutral. It it is then maybe he needs to warm it up alil more before putting it in gear.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have pics to show how to do so?

·
Registered
143 Posts
If this is on the 96 there is a screw pointing down on the back of the IP just before the AFC. I think the nut on it is a 10mm. Loosen the nut and then push the throttle linkage like you are giving it gas and hold it. Only now will you be able to turn the post that the nut is on. I learned this the hard way. I loosened the nut and tried and could not get the post to turn. I came in and read where someone else posted to make sure and push the linkage. Had I remembered that little fact my neighbors boy would not have learned a new word as young as he did.

Also, if you still have the banjo bolt on it, get rid of it. I replaced mine and it made a big difference with my remote start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts