Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got back from being out of town for 3 days and i heard it rained for 2 of those days. i forgot to put the caps on my stacks and when i started it up today, if idled fine and then as i backed out of the driveway i stepped on the throttle a little and it died. i started it back up and let it sit for a minute as it seemed to evaporate the water (i saw steam coming out). then i drove it the rest of the day and everything was fine. i know people always forget to cover their stacks and never have any problems other than soot coming out so why did this happen?

·
Premium Member
16,205 Posts
How much did it rain, maybe there was a foot of water in them.
Just drill a small hole in the exhaust system under the truck so water can drain if you forget the caps.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
It would take ALOT of rain to create an issue...

I have had the entire lower part of my exhaust FULL of water (backed the truck into the lake to load the boat in the back!) and it fired up and ran like a top (blew the water out instantly)

It would take probably 15 gallons of water down the stack to raise the water level high enough to enter the engine. And if that happened it would hydrolock and not even start!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i couldnt believe there was enough water to stall it out. ill let you guys know if it ever happens again...

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Ever think of . . . . . :hehe::rof

First empty the contents.:hehe:

·
Registered
585 Posts
The water may have partially blocked the exhaust. This woudl allow enough area for the exhaust to escape at idle but may have caused too much backpressure at higher RPMs especially under load. Like you said the heat probably caused the water to evaporate.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It could of been a back pressure issue. If you have 2 5in stacks going in to 1 4in exaust water could add up faster than you think. I agree with the small hole in exaust under the truck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have two 4 inch stacks going into one 4inch exhaust. the back pressure thing makes sense but if i cut a hole in the bottom of the pipes wouldnt i fail state inspection for an exhaust leak?

·
Registered
919 Posts
i have two 4 inch stacks going into one 4inch exhaust. the back pressure thing makes sense but if i cut a hole in the bottom of the pipes wouldnt i fail state inspection for an exhaust leak?
u could always weld an 1/8 bung in the pipe and install a petcock that u could lose for inspection

·
Premium Member
16,205 Posts
I'm talking a very small hole, like 1/16".
You could even screw a self tapping screw into it to pass inspection.

·
Registered
208 Posts
hole in exhaust

I know the mufflers on gassers have a drain hole at the rear of the muffler to get rid of the moisture. Like Bill said, a 1/16" hole is all you need and shouldn't cause you any problems as far as an "exhaust leak). Good luck, Dave.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i dont know where your idle is at, but after a few days, im sure your oil got a little thick from sittin, but having low idle and motor not bein to warm, you can kill it pretty easy. i have this problem right now, im just a lazy tird and need to turn it up. maybe this will help. only problem ive had with my stack and water, is the soot boogers, i hate it with a passion, even more that i have a white truck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont know where your idle is at, but after a few days, im sure your oil got a little thick from sittin, but having low idle and motor not bein to warm, you can kill it pretty easy. i have this problem right now, im just a lazy tird and need to turn it up. maybe this will help. only problem ive had with my stack and water, is the soot boogers, i hate it with a passion, even more that i have a white truck.
i think you might be right. i just saw a video on youtube where the guy was talking about how if you give it throttle and then let off it real quick it will die because theres not enough air to burn the fuel since the turbo cant spool. i thought that just means black smoke but he said this only happens when you first turn it on or something so i dont know but maybe that is what happened to me.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
i think you might be right. i just saw a video on youtube where the guy was talking about how if you give it throttle and then let off it real quick it will die because theres not enough air to burn the fuel since the turbo cant spool. i thought that just means black smoke but he said this only happens when you first turn it on or something so i dont know but maybe that is what happened to me.
my 96 auto had that same problem when i first started it up

·
Registered
274 Posts
i just saw a video on youtube where the guy was talking about how if you give it throttle and then let off it real quick it will die because theres not enough air to burn the fuel since the turbo cant spool.
my 98 has a tight converter and will do just that if the idle isn't quite up where it should be.. I used to use the same reasoning to explain it until i bumped up my idle. My truck gets awful in traffic jam situations and only gets worse as the ambient temp rises. so keep those idle screws adjusted boys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts