Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2002 5.9 24 valve. I was driving on the highway and the truck died, but I still have fuel pressure because I can constantly check it on my edge tuner. I do have a fass fuel pump, we primed that and checked it. My alternator was bad, so we fixed that. We checked all the grounds, and pretty much checked everything. But obviously we missed something. Does anybody know what could possibly be going wrong? It starts up and runs for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, and then the throttle jumps up and down and then eventually stalls. All while maintaining 18 psi fuel pressure. Help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Do you have any codes?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Noted on the PCM. Exactly what was wrong with your alternator? What did you do to fix it? Alternator noise can cause problems with the APPS.

There are several things on the electrical side that can cause the symptoms you're experiencing. Electrical connections / grounds, APPS, cam position sensor, VP44 electrical connections could all be culprits. Try recalibrating the APPS first, and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
20,901 Posts
Most of those things will not cause it to die going down the road. Sounds like a heat issue inteh dircuits in the ECM or VP, assuming it really has fuel pressure. Check it with a gauge, not a computer.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Most of those things will not cause it to die going down the road. Sounds like a heat issue inteh dircuits in the ECM or VP, assuming it really has fuel pressure. Check it with a gauge, not a computer.
Position sensors can cause this but usually give warning signs like a skip or little miss here and there but do typically just quit completely.

Reactions: 2002CTD

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Fill your signature out people so folks can help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts