Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few days its dropped below 0 in wyoming, my truck has had some problems starting the past 3 days especially this morning, took alot of sweet talking to get her running. When it did I had lost all electronics aside from the overhead consol, but she ran with a really faint lope. was on my way home from lunch, she fired right up and ran like a champ but about 30 seconds of driving and the electronics started flashing on and off with a sound like a relay that would click, The check gauges and Air bag light came on, then the volt meter dropped to zero. After lunch did the exact same thing and sounded alot more lopy than before, got to the parents house and was about to go to the shop to take a look at it, so I left it running while I ran inside really quick, came back out and it was white stacking hard, would stumble, puff alot of black then go back to white stacking. I gave it really mild throttle to try and save it and it started smoking black like a freight train. As soon as I put it in gear it Died. The voltage at the batteries is a little low 12.15 on both, but have seen others run on alot less. I didnt notice any difference in power when she was still driving. Any ideas on whats going on??? I'm stuck in my parents driveway at -13 f with no lights or tools, so I would really like to even limp it to the shop if there is some sort of temp fix. Batteries are less than a year old as well

·
Registered
88 Posts
plug it up to the block heater see if that helps at all. let it sit pluged in for 2 or 3 hours.

as for the voltage is that each battery detached from each other or did you leave the
cables hooked up, if you did that would be an innaccurate reading.

·
Registered
493 Posts
With the electrical problems that you state, I would start checking battery cables, ground behind the starter, group of wires under the drivers side battery tray, even check the nut in the PDC. With any luck, all of your problems will be fixed when you find the poor connection! Good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the comments guys, I just got done cleaning all the batt terminals and cables to them. I have a trickle charger on it for the time being, all I need to do is get it running for 10 minutes so I can make it to my shop and I'll be able to really dig in and look at things with light, tools and heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.