Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Hope someone out there can help

2001 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins diesel. Always started immediately , now when engine cold, first start has trouble starting and only will start if giving it some throttle. This is independent of outside temp. once started, even before reaching operating temp it will restart no problem again independent of outside temp. Also runs fine once started. I have 18 psi fuel pressure so i ruled out fuel supply problem, seems like it wouldn't be vp44 or injectors? Thought maybe grid heater but keep- reading about people deleting grid heater and it starts even in cold temps. Air filter was partially clogged but after removing there was no change.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
42 Posts
Test your grid heater to insure it’s actually working. You could also have a leak in your fuel delivery system which is letting fuel drain back to the tank. I solved that problem by installing a check valve after the the lift pump.

Reactions: Ram Jam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Test your grid heater to insure it’s actually working. You could also have a leak in your fuel delivery system which is letting fuel drain back to the tank. I solved that problem by installing a check valve after the the lift pump.
Thanks flatbed, I actually had read your post previously and thought that would fix mine even bought a one way check valve. I also bought a fass fuel pump system but haven't installed yet. I noticed when I first turn ignition on fuel pressure does bleed off so may be it. However, if i bump the starter the fuel pump stays on and shows 18 psi. I tried starting it then and it did the same thing. That makes it seem like its not a fuel supply issue. Do you know if grid heater only comes on at a certain temp? Mine doesnt come on but its 80 plus degrees. Also I read how people delete grid heater and it starts even in cold weather.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks flatbed, I actually had read your post previously and thought that would fix mine even bought a one way check valve. I also bought a fass fuel pump system but haven't installed yet. I noticed when I first turn ignition on fuel pressure does bleed off so may be it. However, if i bump the starter the fuel pump stays on and shows 18 psi. I tried starting it then and it did the same thing. That makes it seem like its not a fuel supply issue. Do you know if grid heater only comes on at a certain temp? Mine doesnt come on but its 80 plus degrees. Also I read how people delete grid heater and it starts even in cold weather.
That’s what mine did. Bumping the starter did not help at all. Make sure the check valve is a spring loaded check valve so that it closes instantly as soon as fuel stops flowing from the lift pump. Your truck does not need the grid heater to come on if it is 80+ it should start fine. I know their is a certain temp at which the grids cycle but an not sure on the exact temps. Not 80+ to be sure. And yes it is totally possible to start the truck without the grids even if it is cold. I have done this several times when I was in a hurry or just not thinking about the temps outside (I didn’t let the grids cycle) it starts but not on the first turn over of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s what mine did. Bumping the starter did not help at all. Make sure the check valve is a spring loaded check valve so that it closes instantly as soon as fuel stops flowing from the lift pump. Your truck does not need the grid heater to come on if it is 80+ it should start fine. I know their is a certain temp at which the grids cycle but an not sure on the exact temps. Not 80+ to be sure. And yes it is totally possible to start the truck without the grids even if it is cold. I have done this several times when I was in a hurry or just not thinking about the temps outside (I didn’t let the grids cycle) it starts but not on the first turn over of course.
Thank you so much!! That helps me. I will do the check valve. guess I should do fass install and that at same time. Mine does not have pump in tank. Believe it may be original pump located around fuel filter so difficult to get to. however if I install fass on cab corner. would just install it on the 1/2 inch fuel hose somewhere downstream of pump and flters. Thinking I would remove original pump and filter and run lines direct to vp44 fuel pump. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your system comes with a filter then yes

·
Registered
42 Posts
Although I would recommend using the original filter along with the fass ones just for more filteration

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Welcome to the forums, there's lots of good information here.
In addition to all of the above...

FP will be zero as you are starting the truck.
This is normal.
You'll hear a short 25% run just as you turn the key.
The ECU will bring the FP up when the truck fires.

Does your wait to start light come on immediately every time you turn the key?
Have you scanned for codes with a good scanner like a Snap-On?
If both of these are fine, check the fuel return line... a common location for an air leak.
If you have an air leak, parking the truck nose down may fix the long crank issue.
Parking nose down overnight can be a good test anyway.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Although I would recommend using the original filter along with the fass ones just for more filteration
If you install a full FASS pump with filters, delete the stock fuel filter and run the new supply line directly to the VP44. There is no benefit to the extra filtration, makes the FASS pump work that much harder, and is one more component that can cause issues. I deleted my stock fuel filter when I installed my FASS ages ago and have had zero issues.

As for your hard start issue, there are a few common culprits. I'd suggest you install the FASS and see if the problem persists. If it does, check the fuel return fitting on the back of the head. The fuel return valve on the VP44 can also become worn and let too much fuel return to the tank, causing hard starts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fixed.... Installed fass and now starts immediately . However after mod to transmission now it doesn't work. It never ends.

·
Registered
20,918 Posts
Mod to transmission? Stop screwing with what ain't broke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts