Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
It would make it run at whatever temp they put in. If they put a 200 degree thermostat in it should maintain 200 unless working it hard. For $25 a little coolant and a couple minutes I’d buy another new thermostat and try it. If you go that route I’d probably get a 190 degree one.

·
Registered
04 3500 QCLB, Edge Tuner, Kelderman air ride, stage 3 Meth, exhaust brake, BD Shift kit, 5” Exhaust
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It would make it run at whatever temp they put in. If they put a 200 degree thermostat in it should maintain 200 unless working it hard. For $25 a little coolant and a couple minutes I’d buy another new thermostat and try it. If you go that route I’d probably get a 190 degree one.
Good advice will try this.
From what I understand 220+ ECT is dangerous and can cause damage to the engine right?

·
Registered
04 3500 QCLB, Edge Tuner, Kelderman air ride, stage 3 Meth, exhaust brake, BD Shift kit, 5” Exhaust
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I think there’s little bars in the gauge on the truck. If it’s inside that range it’s probably safe.
If you look at my initial post I have a pic of the ECT gauge. It goes all the way up to what I would guess is 235 then a gap and maxes out at 245.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Some one should go thru checks, if issues found best to use Cummins water pump/thermostat and Dodge OEM/Hayden fan , to avoid issues.
50/50 hoat coolant, Distilled water to avoid minerals precipitating corrosion contaminating system.

TEMPERATURE GAUGE READS HIGH. COOLANT MAY OR MAY
NOT BE LEAKING FROM SYSTEM

1. Vehicle overloaded, high ambient (outside) temperatures with A/C turned on, stop and go driving or prolonged operation at idle speeds.
1. Temporary condition, repair not required. Notify customer of vehicle operation instructions located in
Owners Manual. NOTE: Information on dash cluster is displayed based on broadcast information from ECM. DTC will be set for engine sensor circuit concern.

2. Temperature gauge not functioning correctly.
2. Check cluster (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/INSTRUMENTCLUSTER - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

3. Air trapped in cooling system
3. Drain cooling system (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD
PROCEDURE) and refill (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

4. Radiator cap faulty. 4. Replace radiator cap.

5. Plugged A/C or radiator cooling fins.
5. Clean all debris away from A/C and radiator cooling fins.

6. Coolant mixture incorrect.
6. Drain cooling system (Refer to 7 -
COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE) refill with correct
mixture (Refer to 7 - COOLING -STANDARD PROCEDURE).

7. Thermostat stuck shut.
7. Inspect and test thermostat. Replace thermostat if necessary.

8. Bug screen or winter front being used.
8. Remove bug screen or winter front.

9. Electronically controlled viscous fan drive not operating properly.
9. Check viscous fan (Refer to 7 -
COOLING/ENGINE/FAN DRIVE VISCOUS CLUTCH - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

10. Cylinder head gasket leaking.
10. Check for leaking head gaskets
(Refer to 7 - COOLING - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).

11. Heater core leaking.
11. Replace heater core.

12. Cooling system hoses leaking.
12. Tighten clamps or Replace hoses.

13. Brakes dragging.
13. Check brakes. (Refer to 5 -BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/ MECHANICAL - DIAGNOSIS AND
TESTING)

14. Accessory drive belt.
14. Inspect. Replace as necessary.

15. Water Pump.
15. Inspect and replace as necessary.

16. Engine sensor stuck in range.
16. Monitor sensor with DRBIII to verify sensor reading changes increase in temperature.

17. Temperature sensor failed out of range.
17. A DTC will be set.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I know off the top of my head my valve cover gasket has a small leak. Guess I can start there first.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
My mechanic is staying that when he has his scanner hooked up to the ECU he reads normal temps and what me Edge and stock gauge readings are showing me aren’t accurate? He said he’s going to show me...
BS or possible?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I don't know that the factory guages are perfect, but the edge should be reading the same exact sensor PID from the computer his scan tool does.

Reactions: Holyoak86

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I ordered a Cummins thermostat and will replace the one they put in. We'll see if it makes a difference...

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Curious if it does. I'll spend the $70 or w/e it is for a Cummins 200* if I could find proof it will actually change anything.

I just don't think it will and I'll just be wasting money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I replaced my current T-stat which was new and recently installed by my shop. It definitely wasn't a genuine Cummins T-stat like the one I replaced it with. There were noticeable differences in design. Drove it as hard as I could with a slipping clutch and I never went past 195 ECT on a sunny 70* day in Santa Cruz. Previously, under essentially the same conditions, I was heading upwards of 218-220 and that wasn't even driving it as hard as I did today testing the Cummins T-stat. Lesson learned on installing the right parts. Thanks for the guidance thus far from everyone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’m gonna put my old thermostat back in and see if that fixes my problem. Had no problems before with the thermostat from advance auto. New one is from Napa. Just can’t imagine all parts store thermostats are junk now.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Doesn't make any sense to me, as there are so many that run them with no issue.

Would be nice if you'd test it in a pan and see if it functions normally or not.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Doesn't make any sense to me, as there are so many that run them with no issue.

Would be nice if you'd test it in a pan and see if it functions normally or not.
Good idea. Will try it soon.
I think the biggest difference is probably manufacturing tolerances.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Do you guys think a good shop would hassle me on refunding me for the T-Stat? It’s only $50 but yet it’s still $50. It’s pretty clear it wasn’t operating correctly if it’s the only thing I changed and resulted in lower ECTs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I tried testing the t-stat in a pan of boiling water. Set it in the pan on a piece of reusable cookie sheet to insulate from the direct heat of the pan and also set the thermometer on it as well to make sure I’m getting the water temp only. It started opening around 210 but only seemed to crack open. Not sure how much they fully open to. Hope you can see through the steam.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts