Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
04 3500 QCLB, Edge Tuner, Kelderman air ride, stage 3 Meth, exhaust brake, BD Shift kit, 5” Exhaust
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Edge tuner went out(being replaced under warranty) and therefore my gauges went out as well. I’m driving highway speeds being nice to the truck and it seems to me the ECT is a little higher than it should be. The stock gauge is hard for me to decipher what temp it’s actually at. I’m think I’m nearing 210 which like I said seems high for normal highway driving. I recall being more like 190s when I had the tuner installed and using the digital gauges.
Can anyone shed light on what temp they think it’s at and Although 210 isn’t going to hurt the engine doesn’t it seem a bit high for normal highway driving?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The stock gauges are not all that accurate. Don’t stress about that temp on that gauge. 210 won’t hurt the engine anyway.

Reactions: Holyoak86

·
Registered
04 3500 QCLB, Edge Tuner, Kelderman air ride, stage 3 Meth, exhaust brake, BD Shift kit, 5” Exhaust
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thank you
I should be clear. If you have proper coolant:water ratio. 210 degrees won’t hurt your engine. Coolant doesn’t boil at 210* like water does. To add to that, a system under pressure is further protected from boiling.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would argue the factory gauges aren't bad at all,(all respect due 4everlearning) when compared with mechanical gauges or OBDII read scanners they all seem to be in line with each other. 210 is not normal, you should be at 190 as that is what thermostat your truck should have in it judging by the dash gauges. I run a 180 and a 190 (Fleece bypass kit) and the truck rarely gets over 205 ~ 210 towing heavy loads. You should check your t-stat IMO, that is not a normal temp at all, not dangerous just not normal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would argue the factory gauges aren't bad at all,(all respect due 4everlearning) when compared with mechanical gauges or OBDII read scanners they all seem to be in line with each other. 210 is not normal, you should be at 190 as that is what thermostat your truck should have in it judging by the dash gauges. I run a 180 and a 190 (Fleece bypass kit) and the truck rarely gets over 205 ~ 210 towing heavy loads. You should check your t-stat IMO, that is not a normal temp at all, not dangerous just not normal.
I probably should have mentioned that my T-stat housing was recently replaced. If this was done incorrectly I'm guessing it could cause a problem?
If it was done correctly maybe the over heating is caused by another issue?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You’re all good. I’ve had different experiences with the factory gauges as many others here. I fully agree with everything else you’ve said.

Op, that would have been very good information to include. I’m not sure what someone could do to with the thermostat that could cause such a minor overheating but I suppose it’s possible. Check your coolant level and make sure there’s no air pockets in the cooling system.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You’re all good. I’ve had different experiences with the factory gauges as many others here. I fully agree with everything else you’ve said.

Op, that would have been very good information to include. I’m not sure what someone could do to with the thermostat that could cause such a minor overheating but I suppose it’s possible. Check your coolant level and make sure there’s no air pockets in the cooling system.
I’ve been fighting a gum infection so I haven’t been myself yet I still find energy to worry about my truck lol

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
7,040 Posts
I will take my truck out tomorrow and see where mine is running comparing the OEM vs Edge.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I will take my truck out tomorrow and see where mine is running comparing the OEM vs Edge.
Problem with that is, you’re using the oem sensor. But the edge should still give a more accurate reading as the sensor isn’t the inaccurate part.

·
Trying to learn
7,040 Posts
I will find my IR temp gauge and shoot a couple of spots and see if comparable also.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Doesn't the Edge just read OBDII ???

·
Registered
311 Posts
I probably should have mentioned that my T-stat housing was recently replaced. If this was done incorrectly I'm guessing it could cause a problem?
If it was done correctly maybe the over heating is caused by another issue?
Any chance a 200 degree t-stat was installed? Or maybe some crust (from the shop ceiling not your truck) could be stuck in the t-stat preventing it from fully opening? Hopefully its not some silicone based sealer gummed up in your t-stat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Any chance a 200 degree t-stat was installed? Or maybe some crust (from the shop ceiling not your truck) could be stuck in the t-stat preventing it from fully opening? Hopefully its not some silicone based sealer gummed up in your t-stat.
I’ve already put it on the shop who installed the T-star housing to figure out if they messed it up. Will update after they look at it next week.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’d guess it’s just the thermostat. First time I changed mine it ran warm for a while and worried me eventually settling back to normal. Now my water pump went out so I replaced the thermostat again and it fluctuates 188-204 constantly.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I’d guess it’s just the thermostat. First time I changed mine it ran warm for a while and worried me eventually settling back to normal. Now my water pump went out so I replaced the thermostat again and it fluctuates 188-204 constantly.
That’s a new one that I have yet to see.

·
Trying to learn
7,040 Posts
I use a 200º thermostat.
The best heat I could get today was 203ºf, on the OEM that showed as 1 full needle past the 200º mark.
And that was with the winter front closed off.

All below at idle just after 30 miles run @ 65mph.
OEM left end of the 200º mark read 197º on the Edge.
IR @ rear of thermostat housing showed 197.4º
@ front of thermostat housing showed 184.7º
Top of rad cap 79.2º
Upper rad hose 149º IIRC

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just checked my coolant levels and it’s not topped off. Maybe this is the issue? Idk why the shop that replaced my T-stat housing after it was leaking didn’t top me off. That is assuming if the t-star housing was leaking it was leaking engine coolant?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Just checked my coolant levels and it’s not topped off. Maybe this is the issue? Idk why the shop that replaced my T-stat housing after it was leaking didn’t top me off. That is assuming if the t-star housing was leaking it was leaking engine coolant?
There was probably a trapped pocket of air in the cooling system. To do the thermostat, they would have had to drain and refill the coolant.

When I do them I have a vacuum device to pull a vacuum on the system and then let it suck the coolant into the system. This prevents those air pockets. Most shops just simply pour the coolant in and then try to run the engine through a heat cycle hoping the air will purge. Their method is generally good but doesn’t always work with a single heat cycle.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts