Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
CEL - Check Engine Light

To remove the intake baffle all you need is either a 8mm nut driver or a flat tip screw driver and about 5 mins.

First loosen the hose clamp attached to the factory air box. Then the next one on the intake tube towards the rear of the vehicle.

Then remove the section of hose directly behind the air box. Once this hose is off you will see a large piece of plastic inside the intake tube. Simply lift it out. You may notice slightly more turbo noise and a slightly better throttle response due to the reduced restriction.

The intake baffle is the piece sitting on top of my engine. with the greenish foam. Removed long ago.

It just pulls out of the intake tube. It is very easy to remove/
FOOD FOR THOUGHT ONLY:
If you take a look at that baffle you will clearly see that the thing helps direct air to the compressor wheel of the turbo....this is especially apparent at the end where the baffle sorta spoons in towards the turbo. Over the last 25 years of racing turbo powered cars, I've found that the turbo likes smooth air being sucked in, with the least amount of turns and restrictions (air on the intake side is lazy)....any air that's turbulent causes performance issues. If you look inside the rubber air tube that you removed to get to the baffle, you'll notice the accordion like ribs that allow the hose to be flexible. Those my friends cause air turbulence....and IMO that baffle helps to smooth it back out before entering the cold side of the turbo. An ideal situation is to have nothing in front of the turbo so it doesn't have to do any work to draw the air in, and nothing to make the air turbulent. However, unless your running a dedicated race truck, we all know that not having a filter isn't an option. Some of the aftermarket intake systems out there use smooth bore piping/hoses that prevent air turbulence. With that said, IMO if your still using the OE intake system, you should at least use the plastic part of the baffling system...I removed the green foam because I see it as an unnecessary risk of being sucked into the turbo. Just my 2 cents...cheers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
FOOD FOR THOUGHT ONLY:

If you take a look at that baffle you will clearly see that the thing helps direct air to the compressor wheel of the turbo....this is especially apparent at the end where the baffle sorta spoons in towards the turbo. Over the last 25 years of racing turbo powered cars, I've found that the turbo likes smooth air being sucked in, with the least amount of turns and restrictions (air on the intake side is lazy)....any air that's turbulent causes performance issues. If you look inside the rubber air tube that you removed to get to the baffle, you'll notice the accordion like ribs that allow the hose to be flexible. Those my friends cause air turbulence....and IMO that baffle helps to smooth it back out before entering the cold side of the turbo. An ideal situation is to have nothing in front of the turbo so it doesn't have to do any work to draw the air in, and nothing to make the air turbulent. However, unless your running a dedicated race truck, we all know that not having a filter isn't an option. Some of the aftermarket intake systems out there use smooth bore piping/hoses that prevent air turbulence. With that said, IMO if your still using the OE intake system, you should at least use the plastic part of the baffling system...I removed the green foam because I see it as an unnecessary risk of being sucked into the turbo. Just my 2 cents...cheers.

I tend to agree with you. I'm not an engineer, but I'm pretty well versed in aerodynamics. So my question for you: When you removed the foam and reinstalled the baffle, does it fit securely? Also, are you able to hear the turbo a little more? I am not really expecting any performance gains.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm with you first time owner of 2015 Cummins 6.7 w/standard. I have a little over 11,000 miles and I am completely new to diesel and ram trucks. My wife has a 2014 crew like mine murdered w/6.4 Hemi. We love trucks and they both run great for what the are. She has lifetime power train warranty from dealer and I opted for 10 yr 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty. The only thing I do not like so far is the turbo and engine are to quiet. I would love to have a louder turbo at least. I can't wait to hear more about this intake noise filter for the turbo. I am willing ti try this if it works well.
Thanks,
Teets

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had removed mine last year with no change to truck behavior or sound. It did throw a code shortly after removal. I didn't see any benefits so I reinstalled and cleared code.

IIRC these turbos are designed with silencer rings in order to keep them quiet. There are ways to remove them for more whistle.

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your oil is getting blacker sooner due to Dodges use of EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) to reduce "carbon" (soot) emmissions to legislated levels for passenger vehicles.

The EGR system directly takes exhaust gases and soot and reroute it directly into the intake manifold/horn of newer trucks.
This system also incorporates a DPF (diesel particulate filter) in the exhaust system after the turbo. The system also requires a periodic (computer controled) "regeneration" cycle that injects raw fuel into the exhaust to burn off the collected soot in the filter. Totally automated.

Not a great setup, but necessary to retain for warranty coverage,and meet emmisions standards without the use of DEF (diesel exhaust fluid).

There are numerous EGR "delete" kits available and DPF delete exhaust systems, but the use of these kits generally requires the use of an aftermarket programmer capable of clearing DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes). And the use of a programmer (according to MOST dealerships) will land you in a "restricted warranty".

The soot blackening the oil sooner will not drastically impede the oil performance as long as it is changed regularly and a quality oil filter is used.

Welcome to the forums and feel free to give the search option a try in the top right under "search this forum" to try to find out any more opinions and detailed information regarding your concern.

Hope this was helpful

Dmn Dvo
EGR does not reduce carbon emissions, the DPF traps particulate matter. EGR, introduced into the intake system, lowers combustion temperatures. This in turn reduces NOX. CJ4 oil is designed for EGR engines. The additives in this oil keeps the contaminants in the oil in suspension until it is changed, as long as it is done at the recommended intervals.

·
Wife's mad I spend $$$$$$
1,626 Posts
Aside from all the smog nonsense.... the oil's color being darker is not an indication of the oil's quality or remaining life. Only oil analysis will tell you that.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So back to removing the baffle thing .... guys that have removed it only .., did you notice any Turbo sound increase ? Any positive or negative effects on gas mileage or performance? Thanks COLD here in NC Today burrrrrr

·
Registered
801 Posts
So back to removing the baffle thing .... guys that have removed it only .., did you notice any Turbo sound increase ? Any positive or negative effects on gas mileage or performance? Thanks COLD here in NC Today burrrrrr
bump for answer

·
Registered
223 Posts
bump for answer
There was no noticeable difference in performance that I noticed. There was a noticeable difference in the sound, you could hear the turbo spool, and the noise from the exhaust brake also seemed louder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
engine code U059F

Have only had my 2500 for less than two months, just love it ( vast improvement over the '06 F-250 I had) but i just had a code show up, U059F. "Invalid Data Received From NOX Sensor B" is what it translate to, but not sure exactly what that means. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
There was no noticeable difference in performance that I noticed. There was a noticeable difference in the sound, you could hear the turbo spool, and the noise from the exhaust brake also seemed louder.
Here too....much more spool...

Mileage...no change

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some really great info. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello -
I am looking all over to see if I can find a specific photo of where the 4 connectors for the EGR are located in a 2014 6.7? I know there are 3 on the driver side and 1 on the passenger side, but have not found an actual diagram/photo. Any idea where I could find this? Thanks!

161 - 180 of 185 Posts