Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the railroad the big concern is tonage miles per gallons. If you apply this to a 7200lb Mega cab at 19mpg and a 2765lb Prius at 48mpg the Megacab is moving 1 ton 68.4 miles on one gal. The prius moves 1 ton 66.24 miles on one gal. Now which one is more efficient ? I think i just became a tree hugger. By the way the Union Pacific Claims it avg 1 ton over 600 miles on one Gallon.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Yeah I used that argument against a professor...yeah she did not get. People NEVER think of big picture efficiency. Great post bud.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Great work on helping us justify driving our trucks...and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thats awesome.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Interesting post, but I think most tree huggers will argue that it is not necessary to move 3.5 tons to go to the grocery store, or to get to/from work/school etc. I don't necessarily agree, but with the price of fuel I do have a smaller car for daily driving...but it's a deisel too :thumbsup

·
Registered
461 Posts
Believe me I am definitely NOT a tree hugger. However I see a fatal flaw in your thinking. In an automobile it is not about ton/miles but people miles. How many people will that prius move on one gallon of fuel?

·
Registered
661 Posts
By the way the Union Pacific Claims it avg 1 ton over 600 miles on one Gallon.
its cause they use diesel electric engines. a diesel engine turns a generator and teh generator powers the electric motors that turn the wheelS

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
Believe me I am definitely NOT a tree hugger. However I see a fatal flaw in your thinking. In an automobile it is not about ton/miles but people miles. How many people will that prius move on one gallon of fuel?
I see your point, but he is talking a truck that will seat 6 comfortable...I don't think the Prius is designed for 6:rof:rof I can see it now THE CLOWN CAR...Daa dat dat datta dat a dat datta:lol3::lol3::rof:rof

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting post, but I think most tree huggers will argue that it is not necessary to move 3.5 tons to go to the grocery store, or to get to/from work/school etc. I don't necessarily agree, but with the price of fuel I do have a smaller car for daily driving...but it's a deisel too :thumbsup
That is a great point, which has got me wondering why nobody is looking at what would be practical, say a hybrid diesel Mini van. Prius is to small for us but a hybrid hemi durango is really not much of an improvement over the standard.

·
Registered
316 Posts
To me usefull figures would refer to usable cargo (trailer, luggage, people etc.) being transported and not the weight of the vehicle itself. The vehicle weight being transported isn't of much use by itself!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you put the Prius in the bed of the truck, the cummins would still be more efficient!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
its cause they use diesel electric engines. a diesel engine turns a generator and teh generator powers the electric motors that turn the wheelS
So. You're still losing a large percentage of energy to heat. Why do we feel we need to justify driving the trucks we have. I could make the argument that most could get by on a scooter, but that is not realistic. We choose our luxeries and buy them if we can afford them. My truck hauls about 500lbs including myself daily. Pull a quad trailer every now and then, but nothing a jeep couldn't do. I drive it cause I like it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Justifying our rigs isn't too hard. It's far nicer to be able to pull something...if the need arises, than to have to go borrow or rent a truck when we need to tow or haul something. Besides, could you imagine how funny a Prius would look with a piece of plywood sticking out of it after a trip to Lowes! :lol3:

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
There are a few people that drive the Prius here at work and its the wierdest thing to see it pull up and not here anything. Its like a Ninja car, it will sneak right up on you. If i drove one i would have to put a stick on the back window that said " I am not GAY, I am trying to save money at the pump" and have two NRA stickers on it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
There are a few people that drive the Prius here at work and its the wierdest thing to see it pull up and not here anything. Its like a Ninja car, it will sneak right up on you. If i drove one i would have to put a stick on the back window that said " I am not GAY, I am trying to save money at the pump" and have two NRA stickers on it.
:lol3::agree2::lol3:

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
For my 52 mile daily commute I drive a 2001 Jetta TDI. It get's 42 mpg in town after chip, injectors and rolling on 225 50R16's. It will suck the doors clean off a Prius. On a long trip where the Prius is not getting brake regen etc. the mileage is about the same.

I actually thought about pre-ordering a Tesla. Now that would be a kick in butt to drive to work especially if we had the nuclear power plants we need to charge it. One reason I decided against it though is I know I would get nothing like the 250 mile range advertised the way I drive. :rof

·
Registered
129 Posts
ha ha yeah all the enviromentalist will just wine about why we need such a big truck to drive to work... forget all the excuses i just say cus i like feeling and hearing that straight six

1 - 20 of 33 Posts