Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
And another unpaid spokesperson for the wdh industry...
And the perception that "When you get into an emergency situation the WDH will save you." is what sells.
You assume a lot and are so wrong with the above statement.
I've been pulling trailers for 73 years, most with a WDH and some without. And I've used several brands of WDHs. My statement about safety is from experience, it is not merely perceived. I'm not selling anything, just offering my experience regarding Durkis's question.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
^ Fair enough. I've not towed as many TT's as you admittedly, but the, idk, 10 or so over the years and many other enclosed trailers have all towed fine. Some were too heavy for the truck and really should have had a wdh (not the OP's issue with a new 1 ton w/air), but I don't recall any scary rides. I must have pulled the 0.00001% trailers and everyone else has the horror story ones.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I’ve towed TT for 40+ years with 1500s and 2500s and have always use WDH with sway control, my go to was Reese duel cam sway / distribution bars. There are others good quality systems on the market, air bags in them selfs don’t shift weight evenly between the truck and TT. Keep with in the speed limits, TT tires Have a max speed just as any trailer does. Keep it safe for other on the road.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Wow that looks exciting. I bet he puckered a bit. Almost looks like he could get it under control....

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Wow that looks exciting. I bet he puckered a bit. Almost looks like he could get it under control....
It looks as this person very well mite have, I’m sure his 5th and truck had some serious damage as well his the persons underwear. I’ve seen this kind of stuff and usually speed is part of the culprit.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I bought a few that had damage all over from things like that. Also a few that went on their sides.
And the occasional tree hit.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Bus Motor vehicle

Reactions: Nater_Potater

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I think I remember you posting a similar pic of that unit. What did you end up doing with it?

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I think I remember you posting a similar pic of that unit. What did you end up doing with it?

Sold it in April.
The profit was pretty good, but at the end of the day it was too much work for the money considering I could have done 12 trailers in the same amount of time as it took for that.

Tire Wheel Cloud Bus Automotive parking light

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Wow.. This has sprung some great insight. Thanks guys for all the input. As of now, I think I am going to tow first locally without any setup and see how she does. I still have a few months, so plenty of time to think about it.

Honestly if I didnt have the Auto Level on the truck, I would automatically get the WDH setup. But the auto level has me thinking its going to tow nice. Time will tell. Too bad there isnt a one size fits all for this issue.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I tow a Varity of trailers - 5th wheel and bumper pull. I have pulled smaller bumper pulls - say 30 ft and under with no components of the WD hitch connected, (i.e the bars) or sway bar. They all towed fine with very little sway. The weight of the Dually was enough to keep it in check and I imagine a SRW would be fine also. Most toy haulers do not come with a sway bar setup and only a WD hitch.

I have towed 30-40 ft trailers with no WD hitch also utilizing air bags to keep the trailer and truck level - or as close to level. These are short trips, maybe 300 miles or so. If I had to pull through Nebraska or Wyoming, I probably would want a sway bar setup at a minimum because you may find yourself doing 50 MPH to keep the sway in check.

Even if I do not utilize all WD hitch, I bring the bars with me and sway bar just in case something changes on the trip. My suggestion is that you buy a WD hitch. There is no price on safety and you can get a good setup for under $1000.00.

You spend that in your truck and trailer payment I am guessing. The WD hitch is nice also because I do not have run as much air in the bags - but that's different for you I think with the OEM air setup maybe?

·
Registered
919 Posts
The whole idea behind an equalizer hitch is not so much to keep the back of the tow vehicle from squatting, but to transfer some of the load forward to the front wheels. Look at it this way; placing a load out on the end of the arm (the rear bumper) makes the rear axle act as the fulcrum, with weight being lifted from the front axle. Any of this action negatively affects the stability of the tow vehicle. Obviously, the more weight out back, the lighter the front end. No amount of helper springs on the back axle can fix that.
Now, picture the equalizer hitch as a long bar attached to the top of the tow vehicle, and extending back over the trailer. If you were to stand on the trailer and push up on that long bar, you'd lift the back of the truck at the same time as pushing the front axle down. That's how the equalizer hitch helps distribute the weight across the tow vehicle.
I have since gone to a fiver, and never looked back. The difference in towing manners is night and day.
Yep. I HATE towing tongue pull travel trailers since going to a 5th wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
42 Posts
WDH are for 1/2 tons or shitty towing trailers

i tow all kinds of park models and other campers for customers… this little gem is 1625lbs tongue weight on my 19 2500 pulled like a dream 65-70 on the highway no sway even when passing transports. I just run my curt adjustable good for 2k tongue weight 20k towing

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
785 Posts
WDH are for 1/2 tons or shitty towing trailers

i tow all kinds of park models and other campers for customers… this little gem is 1625lbs tongue weight on my 19 2500 pulled like a dream 65-70 on the highway no sway even when passing transports. I just run my curt adjustable good for 2k tongue weight 20k towing

View attachment 936129
1625lbs?

Jesus, a 40 ft grand design is only 860lbs and most bumper pull toy haulers are maybe 1300 lbs.

That thing is heavy for the type of trailer!

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
1625lbs?

Jesus, a 40 ft grand design is only 860lbs and most bumper pull toy haulers are maybe 1300 lbs.

That thing is heavy for the type of trailer!
When they build Park models, they don’t try to keep things light, like they do with travel trailers.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Massive tip out and full kitchen up front…. This one here was 1700lbs tongue weight View attachment 936144

I have not had to tow one of those Jaycos before...most people who are living full time in Parks around here that I have moved are 5vers.

Park owners around here also don't want to deal with owning the trailer I guess.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have not had to tow one of those Jaycos before...most people who are living full time in Parks around here that I have moved are 5vers.

Park owners around here also don't want to deal with owning the trailer I guess.
The funny thing about these trailers is the actuall weight is not much it just not tow friendly layouts like that jayco see the specs in the picture
Font Display device Electronic device Personal computer Multimedia

21 - 40 of 54 Posts