Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 97 with an automatic i got injectors and pump turned up. i get smoke during preboost and when i am at about 55 mph or so and i coast for a little then gun it. I was with my buddy today, in his 94 with a 5 spd. He had the smoke pooring through every gear. He has pump turned up injectors and a clutch. that is it. Is the reason his smokes so much just becuase his is a manual or what. I am planning on putting a torque converter input shaft valve body and torque converter lockup, will any of this help me smoke more in higher gears. Thanks

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
I got a 97 with an automatic i got injectors and pump turned up. i get smoke during preboost and when i am at about 55 mph or so and i coast for a little then gun it. I was with my buddy today, in his 94 with a 5 spd. He had the smoke pooring through every gear. He has pump turned up injectors and a clutch. that is it. Is the reason his smokes so much just becuase his is a manual or what. I am planning on putting a torque converter input shaft valve body and torque converter lockup, will any of this help me smoke more in higher gears. Thanks
the only reason he's smokin like that is you can easly bog out the gears, like putting it in 4th gear when its supposed to be in 2nd.:peelout, just have your tc locked up and bog it down to the lowest mph and play with the pedal, you'll get a good amount of smoke, thats what i do

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Lock Up will roll more coal because the turbo will not spool as quickly.... that moment of more fuel than air will give you the smoke.

Low RPM lock UP with modified VB's is not healthy for the trans.... RPM is needed for line pressure, line pressure holds your converter clutches together and your frictions as well.... so low RPM flogging can lead to slippage that will degrade the life of your tranny guts and converter.

Go get the the parts, you'll love a modded trans.......... It's the #1 best upgrade you can do to your CTD Dodge

·
ILLINOIS NORTHERN VP
2,061 Posts
Lock Up will roll more coal because the turbo will not spool as quickly.... that moment of more fuel than air will give you the smoke.

Low RPM lock UP with modified VB's is not healthy for the trans.... r.

QUOTE]

haha tell me about it, full billet trans on the way!!:peelout

1 - 4 of 4 Posts