Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying learn here I'm looking for a second truck and I want to be educated for it so I want to know what transmissions comes with what years and what problems they have? I also want to now how much hp over stock they can hold?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying to figure out what is the best year trucks to be looking at

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
That depends on what you also. If u want a mechanical truck the best of them would be 94-98.5 but if u want a truck that u chip to get power i would say go with a 04-06.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even with the dreaded problems with the trany or is that the 03

·
Registered
306 Posts
I dont know the autos but the manuals are below.

89-93 Getrag- I believe this is a 5 speed and i dont think it very strong but cant remeber
94-02 NV4500 Pretty good transmission that common 5 speed however 5 gear likes to fall off
00-02 NV5600 Pretty tough transmission, probably the strongest however arnt made anymore so replacement parts are hard to find and very expensive 6 speed.
02 ?+ G56 Pretty good 6 speed shifts easier then 5600 but ive heard they are not as strong.

On all of these i am just regurgitating the information i can remember off hand, the only one i have experience with is the 5600

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Even with the dreaded problems with the trany or is that the 03
to be honest i dont know to much about the trans for those years. I know a few people with 05 and 06s and only one has hand any problems with there trans and all they did was tighten the bands up and havent had a problem since

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's is probably in my price range

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just bought my '06(see my sig) and have no idea what transmission I have. I know, I know.:slap: Seeing as I'm VERY familiar with forum etiquette, I searched all morning for an answer before asking. Keep in mind I did not say I was a good searcher. Just that I did a search. :smileybutt:

Question is, how do I find my transmission model?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Your really in the wrong area try at the top of the main forum page were it says 3gens try searching in there....or google it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
04.5 to 06 I think is the prime years. They are the HO motors and can make big power easily and with just a programmer. They also have 48RE's so they are a better transmission.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just bought my '06(see my sig) and have no idea what transmission I have. I know, I know.:slap: Seeing as I'm VERY familiar with forum etiquette, I searched all morning for an answer before asking. Keep in mind I did not say I was a good searcher. Just that I did a search. :smileybutt:

Question is, how do I find my transmission model?

go to this site and enter your vin number it will tell you every thing about your truck, I just bought a 2005, ram 2500 and it gave me a complete list of all options and equipment plus build date.

Comprehensive GM VIN Decoder

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you want to build a strong automatic I would use a 48re. They have been used in many 600hp+,700,800hp builds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what years did they come in

1 - 14 of 14 Posts