Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I read the first post and thought it was a goof. After reading the link I'm still not sure. Curious if any one has used it though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's just an assembled OD drum.

I see no reason to buy this when you could just assemble it yourself. If you can get the transmission out of the truck and on the bench, you should be able to build the OD drum yourself. An ATSG manual is helpful and you will need something to measure clearances (I used a dial indicator.

I would like to know what type of frictions they use in the 550hp+ drums? Sonnax includes frictions for the OD portion of the drum but you have to supply your own UD frictions.

They specify GPZ frictions in the 450hp drum (which is probably just a stock drum with GPZ clutches). Modified OD/UD Reaction Plate Retainer = they machined the retainer thinner to make room for more clutch material. No way I would waste money on the 450hp cherry bomb...At the very least, get the 550hp version with the Sonnax drum

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Ok now I’m curious..if this is a legitimate option in place of a full blown fully built tranny.

What are the cons of only getting a “cherry bomb” and not a fully built transmission from someplace like RevMax?

I like the affordability and the ease of installation.

Definitely interested and following this one for sure.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ok now I’m curious..if this is a legitimate option in place of a full blown fully built tranny.

What are the cons of only getting a “cherry bomb” and not a fully built transmission from someplace like RevMax?

I like the affordability and the ease of installation.

Definitely interested and following this one for sure.
The cherry bomb is just a built OD drum assembly...It contains 2 clutch packs...there are 6 total clutch packs in the 68rfe. IMHO, if you're gonna go through the work to take the trans out, just rebuild the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Or you can just buy the sonnax drum assembled. Comes with alto gray (IIRC) single sided clutches. You can fit a full stack of GPZ dual sided clutches, but you’ve got to machine ~0.020 off one of the surfaces to get the proper clearance in there.

I like that they’ve got options for power level you expect to feed thru it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
So are the other 4 clutches not as important as what’s in this OD drum?

Curious if this is a smarter buy all together than a 5000-8000 dollar transmission. If the same results can be had.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I'd go revmax personally just for the warranty. If I wanted or knew how to build a trans I'd source my own stuff and build it for cheaper than a cherry "bomb"

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I think the appeal of dropping in a drum vs doing a full build is the drum is where the vast majority of users have problems. Think about how rarely we hear “well, spun the clutches in 3rd again...” vs threads titled “truck won’t hold 6th gear” or “stuck in limp mode, can’t use OD” or such. There’s already torque limiting in the lower gears, plus with a factory torque converter and no enhanced lockup programming, you’re really not getting near full torque to the input until high rpm 3rd gear at the earliest, and usually not til it locks in 4th. Usually shortly before again unlocking to shift to 5th. Makes sense companies would target not only the most frequent failure point but also one of the easiest things to replace inside the trans - especially since it’s almost a quick R&R component.

Personally it doesn’t make sense to me to replace the drum without doing a full rebuild while you’re already 90% there (especially since an alto clutch kit can be found so cheap, and the GPZs aren’t much more), but if money is that tight I can see the logic behind at least the marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nick00less

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not a great deal or product. Have heard many things about that company and also never followed through the deal with me. Buyer be aware.

PS never use big marketing companies transmission. Always look up BBB ratings. Want a laugh? look up Monster transmission BBB ratings. You would never guess that from a big name place on TV.

AAMCO 13% of every work order goes to the main office. 10% to the front sailes men. That is why they are the most expansive to take your truck too.

Jarad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts