Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
47RE starts and stays in 2nd

My 98 3500 12V when put into drive, starts and stays in second gear. When 2nd gear is selected, it shifts into 1st. When 1st gear is selected, it shifts into 1st like it should. Alternator stopped charging because it lost ignition power, so I supplied it with ignition power and it is charging again. Checked transmission control relay and it didn't have ignition power which I believe is the same circuit from the pcm as the one going to the alternator that I lost. So I supplied it with ignition power but the truck still wont shift?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trans won't shift

Fuzzy,
I have a 2000 2500 and it was having similar issues, I had the trany rebuilt just to find out there was nothing wrong with my trany and there are multiple things that can cause it.

I found an article online that said Dodge Ram trany issues "START WITH THE SMALL STUFF " And you may have already done or know this but it's food for thought, some may sound silly but mine is and has been perfect since maintaining the following.

1- Ensure battery post, clamps and cables are clean.

2- Ck to see if there is a #10 wire coming from the passenger side positive post that goes to the Throttle positioning sensor (TPS), if crosses over the alternator reroute it as far from the alternator as possible and wrap it with good old tin foil with zip strips. This may sound like a foolish thing but I honestly resolved my problem by a simple rerouting this stupid Dodge mistake . :doh:If there is 1 volt spike or drop that wire will pickup/sense it, a spike will cause down shift telling your TPS you are on the throttle, a drop will tell if the opposite causing it to up shift. I am not even sure your model has a double battery.

3- Ck the TPS to see if it needs adjusting or replaced.

4- Ck the Governor position sensor to see if it is bad.

I hope you figure it out but this fixed mine after spending $2000.00 for it to be rebuilt and even if I would have had to replace both the TPS and GPS it would have cost approx $200.00 if that.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.