Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I would of gotten Rostra HD Transducer, 50-1171
BD is just rewired 2nd gen.
I would drop valve body, physically look at front band and hardware, adjust bands, clean VB thoroughly. Let oil drain for the day, perform air test to make sure everything is okay.
Gotta service fluid and filter/adjust bands especially Higher then OEM HP, I go +/- 20K miles.
Then just make sure coolers clean, heat kills these transmissions.
Suncoast aint what it used to be. ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The one I took out is on the left. Thought bout using that block as it looks better built but it has those dang security Allen head on it. Also old one lock inducer in this one just snaps in

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Im not pulling the vb. I'll adjust bands cause I had little slip going but if this dont work im going to pull it and take to a shop. If it's an expensive rebuild I'll be dropping a g56 in.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So the ats block is taller bolts wont fit. I live 40 miles to nearest town going try use old block just clean it and put new parts on. Now to get dang security Allen head off

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Im not pulling the vb. I'll adjust bands cause I had little slip going but if this dont work im going to pull it and take to a shop. If it's an expensive rebuild I'll be dropping a g56 in.
Yeah thats your call, that pan picture clearly shows metal and worse is smaller debris you cant see that goes thru filter gets stuck in all the passages/parts wears hard and soft parts out prematurely.
Will do same thing in G56 trans if not serviced. ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Truck shifts like a charm. I ended up using ats block I had some longer 7/16 bolts here at the house. Appreciate the help. I installed pan drain so in another month I'll go ahead and change fluid filter again to help clean it out. I'm still determined to get those security head bolts out of that other block and use that on my dads stock tranny hes got 389k on it and never been rebuilt. Hes got couple gears that'll slip every once in awhile. But we pull the $#it out of these trucks.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Woke up this morning to puddle of atf. Its coming out on driver side where the throttle lever mounts to trans. Does this piece come out and have an o ring or is it fixed internally

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Shifter shaft seal wasn't hard to replace 7$

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
opening up an old thread here. Truck wouldn't shift into second. I slowed down to start back over felt a jolting type felling when slowing down and when i accelerated again. It still wouldn't shift into 2nd and wouldnt go over 15mph. So I killed the truck fired it back up and it went through the gears fine until I stopped again. Then same issues. Could this be the pump going out? I hearing a whinning noise under the truck while in neutral.

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
The whining noise is a worn TV valve and spring sin the VB. The shifting is the the transducer and solenoid, or, a bad VB harness.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Any testing procedures to narrow down the possibility or just time for a rebuild? Also transducer and solenoid currently replaced.

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
Those things, transducer and solenoid, are known to be bad out of the box or expire shortly after. Pull the trans control plug and see if it is wet, if so replace. Rostra Transducer and DNC gov housing and solenoid and see if it will last longer. Check your pan and fluid if you are getting a lot of sludge or burnt fluid that will hose up the transducer and solenoid.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Ok thanks cerb I'll pull the pan tomorrow and check magnet I had a lot sludge last time and interested if it's built back up. Should I replace the cooler and pull vb for a cleaning if it's nasty or just replace filter fluid run it and replace again? I'll order another transducer and solenoid from dnc and rostra and replace it as well

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
If you feel like working a bit you can pull and clean the cooler and VB if it is really bad. From the sounds of you have some issues already with the buzzing in the fact the TV springs are shot.

Cooler really needs flushed by hand or it never gets clean. You have to pull the thermostat out and block the bypass tube to flush the main body then the o-ring is bad and leaks. Need a good nitrile o-ring also not just any or the ATF will eat it.

Do you already have a DNC gov housing with the GM solenoid or still running the stock style? The Rostra's seem better than others.

Is DTT even still in business? Last I heard they closed up shop but rumors abound at times.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have the gm solenoid with the ats housing. I replaced the suncoast with it. I also have the rostra solenoid in it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Apparently the housing that came with suncoast was a dnc with a gm solenoid. But now I have the ats with gm solenoid. I also think now it was a bd transducer.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm having trouble finding the part number for just the gm solenoid. I find the borg solenoid but nothing on the gm. I'm not needing the block as I already have the ats and dnc. Is the TV spring the throttle valve or the timing valve springs? Are those bad to replace in upper vb or is it best to just replace the entire vb?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well crap.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That's your OD direct clutch snap ring. It's not at all uncommon to find them broken at tear down.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
With an atgs manual and an overhaul kit would it be possible to diy.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts