Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On cold starts, aka first start of the day, When I go from Park to any gear, the transmission doesn't engage. I have to shift from park, to Drive, to R, back to Park a couple times then it kicks in. Until it engages it just feels like its in neutral, although a little bit o power does get transfered. My fluid level is good, atcaully just a hair over the full mark. I park on a slight hill and seem to only have this problem when i park facing up, though that may be completely a coincidence. Any help would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Believe it or not, that is normal for a torque flite transmission. The torque convertor drains overnight and it takes a few seconds to fill it when you first start. If the transmission is stock it won't do that in P, but it will in N. So when you first start, put it in N and wait a few seconds. Some of our transmissions have a check valve in a cooler line in an effort to solve this "problem" but it doesn't help much and the check valve can be a problem too. A '63 Plymouth that my Dad had did it, a Dodge van I had did it. So does my truck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
far enough, thanks Joe for the response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts