Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna build up my tranny for solid reliability, good shifting and some performace. I'm going to install a tran-go, torque converter, and possible a new flex plate. What other upgrades would be suggested? Bands, clutch packs, valve body things, ect. that and would not find in the trans-go. Any upgrade you guys have found usefull would be great to know about. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, buyin a professionally built transmission like an ats or suncoast would be fan-freakin-tastic, but monetary constraints and other mitigating factors tell me i need to escape from my tranny for 1200 or under. So i got a trans-go (120), goerends (650), flex plate (200), and what else.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,047 Posts
Alto red disks are about the best out there. Use a kelvar band assy for 2nd gear.

If your going to pay for a rebuild on a trans. It costs almost the same to rebuild a 46RH as a 47RH and the 47 gives you a lockup converter. I would recommend a swap to a 47RH.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
noted on the band and the alto red disc, but i'm gonna rebuild my own tranny to save money. I'm gonna try to find some sort of service or rebuild manual for the a-518 first. Anyone know where i can get that? Oh and when i put my truck in reverse, it will not engage the gear until i give it some gas then let off. Then it makes a squeeky noise and slams into reverse. Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
192 Posts
ON ebay there is a trans kit sight. That say thy are from salem oregon. go to there store and they have some stuff? I hope better yet that a (sponser) has everything you need!

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,047 Posts
Your rear band needs adjusted or the servo piston seals are leaking and drains the servo piston empty. The time needed to fill the piston area would cause the slaming into gear.

Here is a place to get a manual for the trans. I have not looked at one of their manuals. But I was told it looks just like the directions in the FSM.

ATSG Home

·
Registered
570 Posts
Alto clutches, Steel planetaries (stock is aluminum), Pull your VB and take it to a reputable tranny shop you trust and have them mod it for you and don't buy the trans go. Call hughes and talk to the guys in the shop, there is only so much you can do to a non lock up converter and I doubt that it's worth $650. Hughes can add fins to yours and tighten it up and lower the stall for under 400 shipping included. Do the kevlar bands too while you're there. 2nd gen flex plate from a 94 &^ can be had on EBAY pretty cheap. Just start shopping and collecting parts so it doesn't wipe you out. That should be good for 900ft lbs in a DD or respected tow rig.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
What about struts, servos, apply levers and accumulators? Drilled oiling holes? Bearings?

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
An extra disc or two in the clutch packs to tighten things up a bit, and increase the line pressure.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cumminspride those are interesting things you had to say. Do you really think the trans-go is that bad? I've heard good things about it. And will my stock converter tightened up by hughes be as good as a goerend? And is the stock planetary that bad. On the other hand i would doubt that 400 foot pound would grenade that aluminum.

If the tran-go is really tat bad, unfortunately i already bought it.

And you other guys, I'm open to any suggestions on struts and servos and whatnot. But only if the stock piece is horrible, or a reasonable upgrade can be had on the cheap.

·
Registered
916 Posts
not to steal the thread but how much work is it to convert to a second gen auto with lockup ? if you could get one from a salvage yard it might be cheaper and better

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,047 Posts
I'm open to any suggestions on struts and servos and whatnot
I have only seen one stock strut bent in the 25 torque flights I have had apart. That one was in a trans that blasted the pinon assy out. The car was doing 90 MPH when the trans locked up shifting into 3rd. :wow:

Servos. If the piston isn't worn out of round throw a new seal ring on it and go. Check the bore in the case for out of round. Do that with any of the pistons.

You can go mild or wild when you go into an auto trans. That choice is yours and our check book.

Remember one thing. A lot of items you see listed for auto's were made by people that only want more of your money. The easyest way to sell something is to tell someone I have a cure for your problem. If there was a problem to begin with doesn't matter. :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
The trans go is a good kit, but for what it costs, my trans guy can make them shift just as good for $25 of work in the VB. I am super cheap and like to be well educated so that my thriftyness can excell!
For the torque you can make with your cummins, steel planetaries are a good upgrade. The aluminum give too much. The converter can be made to handle alot of torque considering it's nothing more than a fluid coupling. But get smart, choice shops will brag about the parts they put in. Do some real research and you'll find that most all companies use the same parts. Most of the time, name sells. Georends makes an excellent converter, but others can build the same thing for cheaper. I am budget minded and will always find the cheapest route.

I just put in a 47RH out of a 95 3500 in my w350. It was easy, You will need to lengthen everything though. Linkage bracket, crossmemeber to trans mount plate, and the hole in the floor for the 4X4 shifter. Oh and get the starter and flex plate and engine adapter if you're in the bone yard anyhow.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
hey cumminspride my dad has a 90 d350 and wanting to put like the tranny out of my 97 in it for overdrive and lockup, but according to what you had said it can be done though? because a lockup switch would activate the converter solenoid wouldn't it?
-jon

·
Registered
570 Posts
I wouldn't recommend anything other than a 94 or 95 trans because the later years were 47re's and you want the 47rh. The re is electronic and the rh is hydraulic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts