Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make my auto trans bulletproof and get it ready for eventual horsepower increase. Looking at triple lock converter, billet shafts, valve body, flex plate, whole nine yards. This is for towing NOT competition. Other option would be ditching the auto for a six speed manual which is what I wanted to start with but very hard to find. Most likely to just keep the auto.

Any recommendation and comments on Garmon or Goerend? I plan on around 500 to 600 hp / 1100 ft lbs. Again this NOT for competition but for towing.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one here has purchased transmissions and torque convertors from either firm? Are both equally good so base decision on price?

·
Registered
23 Posts
do a search there are hundreds of posts on both companies

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I should have done a search first. Anyway did that and there is a ton of info. What it boils down to is I have to define exactly what I want the trans to do and then get it built that way and either of these shops are going to be able to do it. Since I have absolutely no intention of ever racing it, and don't intend to bump it up over 500 to 600 hp / 1000-1100 torque I am sure either shop can set me up to tow and DD with no problems. My fiver is around 8000 lbs so not talking about extreme tow either...
Still wish I had held out for a truck with a manual. Hard to find and the truck I got was 40,000 miles and immaculate. Zero problems with it. Just the trans needs to be beefed up for towing. Seems like from what I am reading is the problems come when guys try to use a full competition unit for towing due to the heat from full line pressure all the time. Since I never intend to race at all, I shouldn't have a problem getting mine set up to tow and DD. Triple lock TC, improved VB, flex plate, bands, accumulator, clutches/steels and prolly don't even need the billet shafts either. I do want to get some custom made aluminum drive shafts made so I can use Spicer u-joints in it. What I want to do is to get it set up so that it will not break and tow great. I think it is generally not recommended to try to swap out an auto for a manual trans. Not that it can't be done but more of a pain than it is worth.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Do you think maybe you are jumping the gun a bit. With only 40k on it I would think it's got a lot of life left in it. Towing 8k is nothing. I think I would at the most replace the valve body and governor pressure solenoid and maybe an after market pan for increased fluid cap IMO. Is it giving you any indication at all that there is a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think maybe you are jumping the gun a bit. With only 40k on it I would think it's got a lot of life left in it. Towing 8k is nothing. I think I would at the most replace the valve body and governor pressure solenoid and maybe an after market pan for increased fluid cap IMO. Is it giving you any indication at all that there is a problem?
I already have a mag Hytek pan on it and it always runs cool. Runs OK DD but towing it seems to slip some and shuttle shift. Really it's not a big problem and I never run the truck hard just DD and tow with it. I want to eventually end up with the truck being ultra-reliable and last a long long time since I don't want to buy a new truck with all the pollution junk on it. I bought a 2011 ford f250 and got rid of it because it was killing me on mileage. Had dropped to under 14 mpg on hiwy at 65 on cruise not towing anything. I have heard that may have been due to a crushed DEF line and the engine management system will alter fueling in the case it is not seeing what it wants to see from the exhaust sensors. Ford couldn't fix it though...
Anyway I really like my "06 dodge with the cummins and intend to keep it forever. So I figured getting Garmon to do their thing to my trans would eliminate that as a potential problem.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I guess what I was saying is why spend all that money now when your really not having any problems. If you get another 30k or 40k out of yours with a few upgrades then buy the new tranny you will have a fresh tranny at 70 or 80k. To each his own, I just wish I would have waited until I started having problems before I spent all that money. Your shuttle shift is an easy and cheap fix. I think it sounds like you are trying to justify it to yourself, believe me I know, I did the same thing LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.