Cummins Diesel Forum banner

transmission upgrade

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  awake1630 
#1 ·
Just bought a truck.. 05 -2500 with 88K on it. Truck is in good condition i bought it form the original owner.

Now my question.

I want to do a tranny fluid change/ filter.

What fluid should i run. I wanna run a synthetic. I was thinking Amsoil Torque Drive.

Also i want to put a shift kit in it.

I was looking the shift kit from Transgo.

Anyone have any experience.

Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds like your on the right track. Also look into band adjustment it's recommended at 100k your almost there might as well.

#5 ·
Many like the Transgo kit and others prefer the Superior. I think whichever you choose the Sonnax manual valve and pressure regulator valve are a good upgrade. I would also look into the sonnax accumulator kit and the second gear super hold servo kit along with a heavy duty kickdown band strut. Also upgrade your solenoid with the Borg Warner 50185 unit and replace your gov sensor.

Those mods will give you a very serviceable VB for a stock or slightly modded truck.

#9 ·
I have ran a tranny shop for 10 yrs and I am running DexIII /w black Lubegard additive. When the Garmon shop, which builds the highest HP trannies out there, agrees with me it just reaffirms what I already knew.

#11 ·
Anything i need to know about some tranny upgrades?
Yes.....they are recommended.:thumbsup:

After you do the upgrades discussed earlier the only other upgrade necessary for holding a mild power increase would be an upgraded T/C. For a pretty substantial power increase you will need a billet input and billet flexplate (IMO). Any wilder than that and you need a complete performance trans.

GL and you're welcome.

#13 · (Edited)
I believe torque drive flid is an allison spec fluid. Amsoil makes a different fluid this is compatible with atf+4. Be careful seems at though every one whos says you dont have to run atf+4 also has a built transmission wich probably does NOT have factory mopar clutches in them. Different clutches = different fluid. Chrysler reccomends it for a reason. Everyone complains that they have to run a special fluid and seems to think their getting ripped off. Dex III is a gm spec. Trans synd is an alison spec. Mercon and type f are ford spec. My wifes honda reccomends a honda spec thats $7 a quart! I promise that if you have stock clutchs in your transmission and you run dex III it will slip between gears. You will precieve it as shifting smoother but it is actually a loss of friction between the clutches during shifts. I have experenced this first hand. Valvoline and castrol both make a atf+4 available at any auto parts store that is about the same price as dex III. ATF + 4 is a full synthetic.

#14 ·
OK so now that i have been driving the truck i have notice it does not engine/trans brake at all. This is comparing to my ford 6.0 especialy in tow/hual mode the ford does a lot of enine braking. Now i think that tranny is electronically controlled so that may help.

But I was wondering which of the mods could help this with the dodge? i saw that banks has a kit that seems like it does this but it is not available for the '05??

#15 ·
Have to have a load on it. On my truck if im going downhill with the camper and i am off the throttle and the truck starts to pick up speed it will dorp a gear and lock up the conver in tow haul. Also if you are slowing down without a load and the torque converter unlocks at 45 give the throttle a quick tap it will re lock the converter until 25 mph and help slow the truck down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.