Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little backstory, truck has had trans rebuilt 20K ago. Fluid looks cherry. I'll be servicing the trans when I do an oil change in about 2K miles.

I currently have a XTZ+, BHAF, exhaust, and better lift pump. I'm going to be upgrading the fuel lines. And I plan on a set of injectors. I was thinking RV275's but probably a step above those as well like a jammer 2 or possibly 3's. I'm also looking at a boost elbow since I only push about 22-25psi tops lugging the engine. I might later on move to an edge juice with attitude. (I had one on my DMAX and loved it)

Where should I look at trans upgrades? I know with the service I planned on installing a deeper oil pan on the trans to add fluid. I've also thought about adding on an additional trans cooler too. But while I'm in there I'm thinking upgrading the VB as well. Should I also look into a billet converter as well? I'd like to make a 400hp truck. But I don't want to pile on that power without paying attention to the trans.

I assume I'm nearing the edge of a stock trans limit? It's not slipping, but I do have the annoying TC lock/unlock associated with noise.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
If you on only 400hp a valve body and a coverter will work.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could I get by with just a VB and the other upgrades? (instead of pulling the trans to install the TC)

I don't plan on riding around with 400hp all the time either. That's the other reasoning for moving to an edge. Drive it around 300hp and just play with 400hp when needed.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
From my own personal experience no! My converter started to shutter with an Edge ez. Pulling the trans is easy and a good coverter and valve body will make all the difference in the world. My last dyno I put out 419hp & 990tq, and my trani is perfect. All I have is an ATS converter, valve body and lockup kit. The rest is stock. However I have a BD trans in the works because I now am making some big performance upgrades, and there is no way a stock trans will hold.

·
Vendor
8,415 Posts
stock tq converter will not hold 400, you won't be able to use all your power it will slip the converter. maybe put in a mild shift kit like transgo, but that still will not solve the converter. you will want triple disk

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
if i were you i'd add a billet input to that list.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think I'd need it for 400hp tops? I know I won't know until it's on the dyno, but if the stock engine made 215. I added the BHAF, exhaust (glasspack), and XZT+ I'm only making close to 300hp right? I was guessing that injectors would only net me 50-75hp. The rest being "safety".

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
i have heard of guys breaking it with a comp box

the problem is with a good TC is when it goes into lock-up it will hit a lot harder then the stocker and could break it....if it does break it could take out the the tc and pump.....even more :$:

trust me you won't stop at 400hp :lol3:

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt I'll want to go any further with it power wise. I just want to get it up to about 350 maybe 400hp. The rest of the mods will be WVO second tank and stuff like that. I was perfectly happy with my DMAX and a edge juice with Attitude. Thinking about it more now, if I installed injectors, that should put me back where I am now power wise. (with the quad turned off) Then I'd have two more levels to play with by a switch. I'm fine with that.

I just want a little more umph when I want it. Heck I had that dmax and drove it in economy about 98% of the time I owned it.

When I need to go fast I've got 6 different motorcycles to choose from... there's not a diesel truck that could perform like my liter bike.

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
don't get me wrong you may never break it...and i hope you don't....but the chances go up a lot with the HP mods

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
don't get me wrong you may never break it...and i hope you don't....but the chances go up a lot with the HP mods
So are my power estimates close? I'd assume I'm at 300 now. And injectors (without getting things too hot) would net me 50 or 75hp depending on what I get.

I don't see me drag racing it or anything like that. I've owned the truck since Oct. In that time I've only driven it about 4K miles. So needless to say, pouring money into a "toy" isn't the best idea. I only use the truck when I need a truck.

I've also got a cracked 53 block, so that's another thing in the back of my mind about the truck. I do NOT want to push the truck hard.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update, I've got billet goodies on the way. :D

It was only $650 shipped.

Now to sort out what VB to pick up. I assume I should get a BD VB to match, or does anyone suggest a different one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts