Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking through several threads about different trans issues with the Auto and trying to determine what I want to do with mine.

I just got it a week ago with around 125k on the truck. Has a K&N intake and Banks exh when I got it, so figure it wasn't exactly babied.

The other day in rush hour traffic it would down shift, then up and then down again under light pedal applied due to the traffic flow. I was just putting along. It seemed odd that it would act like that. Did it several times.

I will prob get a programmer some day when money allows. I'm not worried about big power numbers, just want a little extra and prob something with all the gauges in it to keep me from buying them all seperate.

I usually only tow a 18ft steel car trailer and my Jeep Wrangler, so not a heavy load.

So that is my plans, what kind of trans work should I consider? I don't feel it's in need of new clutches and internals, but maybe something like a shift kit or that kind of work. I've read about guys changing a couple of parts and some that install the Transgo kit. Is this something I should do?

On a side note, I tend to tow my Jeep at around 75mph on the highway. My Silverado with the 5.3L did it pretty well. The tow/haul on the Dodge is just a OD kill right?? Will that kind of speed out of OD be too high in the RPM's? Once I get up to speed on the highway should I kill the tow switch?? The Chevy switch is like an electronic shift kit that makes the shifts more snappy and doesn't kill the OD, so I just stuck it in tow mode and hammered down. If it was downshifting much due to hills I would just lock it in 3rd for a while and then back to D when it was better roads.

Haven't had a chance to tow with the Dodge yet cause my Jeep is in the middle of a Chevy V8 swap. Hope to get that done soon if money allows. It's getting close.

Sorry for all the questions and rambling

Thanks!

· Registered
131 Posts
give Wally at FTE Diesel a call, he can make custom setups for you for whatever needs you have.... you wont be disappointed

· Registered
166 Posts
A trans go shift kit $80, new pressure solenoid and transducer ,tighten your bands you shouls be good to go. I did this work 3 months ago and the trans shifts great no more 1-2 shuttle shift.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.